Is my friend allowed to drive in London for 2 weeks, with an foreign number plate?.

my friend came to visit me with a car from Europe but the car has an american number plate he also has all the paperwork from the USA is he allowed to drive it in London for 2 weeks?

Asked by mahmoud

You can usually use a vehicle displaying non-UK number plates, and not have to tax or register it in the UK, if:

  • you’re visiting the UK and don’t plan to live here
  • you only use the vehicle up to 6 months in a 12-month period (1 single visit, or several shorter visits adding up to a 6-month period)
  • the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country

With this in mind we advise contacting the US authorities to confirm their advice/legislation, the AAA or Department for Motor Vehicles (DMV) should be able to help.

Any vehicle circulating in the UK has to be fully insured.


About Author