Do overseas compulsory equipment rules apply to my scooter as well as my campervan?

We are taking our campervan and scooter to France, Spain & Portugal for the winter. Do the same rules for hi-vis jackets, breathalysers, warning triangles etc apply to the scooter as well as the campervan ?. Thanking you in anticipation.

Asked by Graham Hocking

There’s detailed information on the main AA website covering the rules of the road and compulsory items required across Europe.

In France a reflective jacket is not compulsory when you’re using the Scooter but reflective panels are required on your helmet. A breathalyser is compulsory except for mopeds and a warning triangle is not compulsory on motorcycles.

In Spain you don’t have to carry a warning triangle on two-wheeled vehicles

AA touring tips for France

AA touring tips for Spain

AA touring tips for Portugal




About Author