Car leasing FAQs
What's included, order and delivery
To be eligible for Smart Lease, you need to be a UK resident, over 25 and under 75 years old and to have held a valid UK or EU driving licence for at least 2 years.
You also need to be an AA Member. An AA Member is a customer that's arranged breakdown cover directly with the AA and not as part of a bank or vehicle manufacturer partnership program.
The eligibility check includes a credit check, to see if you meet the affordability commitments and provides insight into credit and financial risks. This is a hard credit check and so it’ll appear on your credit file. You can find out more about the credit check in the LeasePlan privacy notice.
You must also have:
No more than 6 penalty points on your licence and have none of these conviction codes: AC, BA, CD, DR, IN, LC, MS, TT, UT, CU, DD, DG.
A UK-based bank or building society account that can pay by direct debit and a good credit rating.
No pending prosecutions and have never had an insurance policy cancelled or special terms imposed and have never been refused insurance.
- Hire of the car.
- Use of the car up to your mileage limit.
- Car registration fee.
- Cancellation within the cooling off period.
- Comprehensive car insurance.
- Car insurance for European travel.
- Vehicle tax.
- Free delivery and collection.
- Servicing - all manufacturer service intervals including oil, bulbs and consumables; vehicle collection and delivery service. Fluid top ups between services aren’t included.
- Maintenance - routine maintenance repairs due to fair wear and tear; vehicle collection and delivery service. Damage and repairs deemed to be caused by neglect or driver error aren’t included.
- Windscreen repairs are free of charge. Unless it's a manufacturer's defect, there's a £100 administration fee for replacement windscreens.
- Tyre replacement - punctures and damage due to fair wear and tear. Vandalised or stolen tyres, or driver abuse aren’t included.
- Mileage or term adjustment - you can request either a single change of mileage or the term period at any time during the term without an administration fee. The new monthly cost will be calculated using the price matrix of the lease and a refund will be issued if appropriate.
- Add a named driver - your spouse or partner. They must live at the same address.
- Courtesy car if your Smart Lease car needs to be repaired (where available).
- Accident management.
- No termination fees for life events.
- Fair wear and tear repairs up to a maximum of £500 at the end of your lease – in the unlikely event the repairs exceed £500, then you'll be charged the full amount.
- Depreciation and interest.
You're responsible for:
- A one-off arrangement fee payable at the time of ordering your car.
- Fuel or all charging costs if you have an EV.
- Any fees or fines, such as parking permits, parking fines or speeding penalties.
- Continued AA membership for the term of your lease, or pay the recovery costs directly.
- Administration charges specified in your contract if you have an accident.
- European breakdown cover if you want to travel abroad.
No, you don't have to pay a deposit.
Our Smart Lease cars are usually available in black, white, grey and silver.
We’ll confirm the available colours when you place your order.
If your preferred colour isn’t available, we’ll help you find an alternative.
Call us on 0344 472 1081.
Due to the coronavirus situation, test drives aren’t currently available. This is for your safety, as our appointed dealers who deliver the cars can't provide accompanied drives in line with the government requirements on social distancing.
You can add your spouse or partner as a named driver, so long as they live at the same address as you, also meet the eligibility criteria and have a full UK driving licence.
Your enquiry’s sent to the sales team, who’ll contact you within an hour, during working hours, or as soon as possible if it’s outside working hours.
The team will answer any questions you have about the car and there’s no obligation to continue.
If you need more time to make your decision, the team will save your details and you can call back at any time.
If you’re keen to go ahead, the team will check you meet the AA membership and insurance eligibility criteria and ask you to confirm the information’s correct.
They’ll ask you to complete an order form to confirm the car, colour and mileage and term you’re interested in.
You’ll then undertake a credit check, which will leave a record on your credit file.
You can find out more about the credit check in the LeasePlan financial notice.
If you're accepted, you'll receive the agreement to e-sign.
After the statutory 14-day cooling-off period, your car will be ordered from a dealer and the delivery date confirmed. It usually takes 2-4 weeks to have your car delivered.
Finally, the dealer will arrange delivery to your home for free.
After you've signed the agreement and the cooling-off period has expired, your car will be ordered.
Delivery time varies from 2 to 4 weeks. We'll give you a more accurate date at the point of ordering.
Call us as soon as possible on 0344 472 1081. If the cooling off period hasn’t ended, there’ll be no charges if you need to cancel or change your order.
Once your car’s arrived at the dealership and the pre-delivery inspection’s been done, you'll be contacted to arrange a suitable date and time for delivery.
If any members of your household are self-isolating due to COVID-19, the delivery will have to be delayed. Otherwise, you simply confirm you're happy to continue with the delivery on the agreed date.
An email will be sent to you confirming the process along with contact details in case you need to get in touch.
The vehicle dealer will call you on the day before delivery to confirm your expected delivery window.
Before leaving for delivery, your car will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitised.
The delivery driver will wear a face mask and gloves before arrival at the delivery location and throughout the handover process.
They'll phone you on arrival and wipe down all the surfaces of the car they may have touched.
Due to coronavirus, a typical full handover isn't possible. The driver will explain from a distance – at least 2 metres – the key functions of the vehicle and answer any other questions you may have.
The delivery driver won't ask you to sign any paperwork, instead they'll take a series of photos as proof of delivery in good condition and your acceptance. The mileage will also be recorded.
If you want your car to be delivered to a different address, call 0344 472 1081 so this can be arranged.
Yes, call 0344 472 1081 and select the personalised number plate option. We'll talk you through the process and register the plate on your behalf. We aim to complete the transfer within 25 working days of receiving the appropriate documentation and request from you.
You’ll be responsible for having your personalised plates made and correctly fitted on your Smart Lease car. You must keep the original number plates during the lease term.
When you remove your personalised plates at the end of the contract, the DVLA will assign the original registration number back to the vehicle and you'll need to replace the original plates.
Call 0344 472 1081 6 weeks before the end your contract and we’ll let you know what to do next.