Driving in Europe

Essential advice for driving abroad

Find out everything you need to know about driving abroad here. We explain which documents you need to drive in Europe, local laws in different countries and advice for hiring a car abroad.

From 2 August 2021, a Green Card (or International Motor Insurance Card) is no longer required for travel in the European Economic Area, which includes all the European Union countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. You also don't need a Green Card for Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland.

You do still need to take:

  • Your Certificate of Motor Insurance.
  • The log book (V5C) for the vehicle.
  • Your driving licence.

If you're a car insurance customer with the AA, the Republic of Ireland is within our territorial limit, so policyholders get the same level as cover there as they do in the UK all year round.

Find out about driving in Europe after Brexit.