Home insurance claims

Reporting your loss or damage

How to make a home insurance claim

First steps
  • Then call the phone number on your Statement of Insurance as soon as possible to report the loss or damage – have the policy number on the statement ready each time you contact us. A claims advisor will tell you how to proceed with your claim.
  • If you're asked to complete a claim form, return it as soon as possible to the address on the form. Enclose any other information you've been asked to provide.
  • Also take photos of the loss or damage before any urgent repairs are done.

What if I need to make urgent repairs?

If you've paid a tradesman to make urgent necessary repairs to prevent further loss or damage, ask for receipts and keep them safe, and take photos to document the damage before the repairs are done.

For non-urgent repairs or replacements, please follow the instructions we give you. We may ask you to get estimates, or want to see the damage ourselves before agreeing to any work.

What if my home has been burgled?

If something has been stolen from your home or your home has been broken into, call the police straightaway and make a note of the crime reference number they give you.


Registering your claim

Who do I phone to register my claim?

You register your claim directly with the insurer – their contact details are on your Policy Summary.

Sign in to access your Policy Summary if you have registered for online access to your policy documents.

What questions will I be asked when I call to register a claim?

You'll be asked what happened and when it happened, and what action you've taken so far. Then you'll be asked what you're claiming for and the approximate cost(s) involved.

What information will I be asked to provide to support my claim?

It's helpful to keep receipts, guarantees, instruction manuals, valuations or photographs for your most valuable items in a safe place, as these may help to support a claim on these items. By valuable items we mean jewellery, watches, paintings, collector's items, and any items or sets of gold or silver.

You may also be asked to provide estimates or invoices for claims involving repair or replacement of items. If the claim involves a building repair, normally two estimates are required for comparison.

If the incident involves theft or criminal damage, or if any property has been lost outside of the home, you should inform the police immediately and make a note of the crime reference number.

Who are the approved suppliers and specialists and what do they do?

Some insurers have a national panel of approved specialists and suppliers who may be appointed to inspect damage or replace goods on your insurer's behalf. Full details of the specialist or supplier and the next steps for your claim will be discussed with when you report the incident.

Insurers also have a team of claims advisors, who manage the settlement of your claim and may visit you at home to discuss your claim in detail.

How long will it take to sort out my claim?

Some claims are more straightforward than others – when you call to register your claim, the claims advisor will give you an indication of the timescales involved.

About your policy

How will I know if my claim is covered by my policy?

Wherever possible, your insurer will let you know during your first call whether your claim is covered by your policy.

It may help you to read through the Policy Booklet along with your Schedule of Cover before ringing to register your claim.

What is a policy excess?

The policy excess is the part of each claim that you agree to pay – your insurer will cover the remaining amount. Details can be found in the Policy Schedule.

Your insurer may deduct the amount of the policy excess from the settlement of your claim, or alternatively the appointed specialist or supplier will collect this amount from you on our behalf.

Is my policy 'new-for-old'?

Yes, your policy is a 'reinstatement' or 'new-for-old' policy. This means that all items will be replaced with the new equivalent without any deduction for wear and tear.

For example, if you have damaged a television that's five years old, we will replace it with the latest available equivalent model.

What should I do if I believe my house is suffering from subsidence?

Subsidence is the downward movement of the ground supporting your house. It usually results in small diagonal cracks to the weaker parts of the home – these cracks normally appear above and below windows and doors. Contact your insurer directly and they will advise on the steps you need to to take.


Home insurance

Defaqto rated cover – you're in safe hands
Find out more
For policy advice call

0370 606 1617

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm.

Call now