Your safety is our priority. That's why if you've been diagnosed with or come into contact with Coronavirus, or you’re in self-isolation, call 0800 88 77 66 and notify an operator. This will let us help you as quickly as possible.
Car Key Replacement
Lost or stolen car keys?
Call our mobile Key Assist team for replacement car keys
Car key replacement
Lost car keys can be a real hassle. With Key Assist, it's simple to get a new car key. We’ll cut replacement or spare keys if yours are broken, faulty, lost or stolen.
- We’re fully mobile and can come to you at work, at home or even in a car park.
- We carry keys for most vehicles, with car key cutting and programming for most keys and fobs.
- We're often cheaper than a dealership because we don't need to replace every component.
From a simple key cut to the latest hands-free fobs, we’ve got you covered. We’ll help whether you’re an AA member or not.
Call 0800 048 2800
We’ll come out to you between 7am and 10.45pm, 7 days a week. Just call to book a Key Assist appointment.
Why choose a replacement key service?
Car keys, fobs and remotes can be quite complicated. AA Key Assist takes the hassle out of getting spare car keys.
- All our technicians are fully trained and DBS background-checked, so you’re in safe hands.
- We work with vehicle manufacturers, including big names like Ford, BMW and Vauxhall.
- We follow manufacturer security processes and use dealer equipment wherever possible.
- Our mobile car locksmiths can be more convenient and cost-effective than a dealership.
The different types of car keys range from transponder keys to lock transmitters. They all need to be programmed and some need special software and diagnostics. For broken, stolen or lost car keys, it's best to get a specialist auto-locksmith to help.
Can I get a car key made without the original?
Yes. Our equipment reads the key's design directly from the car's lock. So if your car key's lost or stolen, we'll cut and program a new one without needing the original. We’ll also disable any old keys as part of our service, to give you peace of mind that no-one can use the missing keys.
How to get a new car key
It's easy to get a replacement car key cut and programmed. Call us if your key's lost, stolen, broken or you need a spare.
- Call our Key Assist team on 0800 048 2800.
- We’ll find out where you are and send a technician to you*.
- If you’re locked out, we can open the lock to get you back in your car .
- Our equipment reads the key design from the car’s lock so we can copy it.
- We'll pick a blank key or fob to suit your vehicle from the range carried in our vans.
- We can usually cut and program a replacement key in around 40 minutes.
Good to know
* Key Assist isn’t currently available in the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Republic of Ireland, the Highlands and Islands, and any location north of Aberdeen. Aberdeen is the most northern point where assistance could be provided.
How do you use my data?
How much does it cost to replace a car key?
The cost of replacing your key depends on what type of key your vehicle uses.
The latest hands-free fobs for keyless entry will cost more than an older-style key remote.
Call our AA Key Assist team on 0800 048 2800 and we’ll give you a quote for your key replacement.
Does insurance cover car key replacement?
Whether your insurance covers lost or stolen car keys depends on the type of insurance you have.
With AA car insurance, you’ll be covered for damaged, stolen and lost car keys if you have comprehensive insurance with us. That’s as long as you don’t leave them in the car unattended.
If the keys, transmitter or keyless fob are lost or stolen, we’ll pay up to £1,000 towards the cost of replacing them. We’ll also pay the cost of protecting your, taking it to the nearest repairers if necessary and delivering it back to you after it’s been fixed.
If you have third party fire and theft insurance, you’ll only be covered for replacement car keys if they’re lost because of fire or theft. If you have third party only insurance with us, it won’t cover you for replacement car keys.
I’m an AA member - can I get a replacement key for free?
If you’re a Gold member, you’ll get free key insurance worth £1,500 with your membership.
That means you’ll be covered if your keys are lost or stolen. We’ll help with locksmith charges and a temporary replacement vehicle.
Don't forget to activate your cover for it to apply. You can log in to check your Smart Benefits here.
How long does it take to replace a key?
Call our AA Key Assist team on 0800 048 2800 to book a time and date for your appointment. Once we arrive, we can usually replace your key in around 30-40 minutes.
If we need to order a new key, we’ll tell you this up-front and keep you updated on its delivery.