Car insurance Green Card

Our guide for driving in Europe

AA car insurance policyholders can drive in the EU, and in several other European countries, and get the same level of cover you have in the UK for up to 90 days during the 12 months of the policy.

If you drive abroad in Europe you'll need to take your AA Certificate of Motor Insurance and the log book (V5C) for the vehicle, as well as your driving licence.

From 2 August 2021 a Green Card (or International Motor Insurance Card) is no longer required for travel in the EU and the EEA states. You also don't need a Green Card for Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland.

Instead of the Green Card, your AA Certificate of Motor Insurance now proves you have the minimum insurance cover needed by law in the country you're visiting.

Star rated travel Insurance for the unexpected

Cancellation cover up to £5,000 per person
Medical expenses up to £15 million
Members get enhanced benefits with our Silver or Gold Cover*

Get a quote
Your FAQs about driving abroad

Which countries are in the EEA or the EU?

The European Economic Area includes all the European Union countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

What about going to and from Ireland?

The Republic of Ireland is within the territorial limit of our car insurance, so policyholders get the same level as cover there as they do in the UK all year round.

I live abroad but also drive in the UK

Drivers of vehicles registered in an EEA country, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland who visit the UK don't need to carry a Green Card. This includes drivers in the Republic of Ireland.

But if requested by the police or following an accident, you'll still need to show proof of your motor insurance. So always carry valid insurance documents when you visit the UK.

What do I need if I have AA European Breakdown Cover?

You'll still need valid car insurance if you take your car to the EEA countries, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland.

What if I hire a car abroad?

The insurance that comes from the rental company will cover you.

If you rent a car in the UK for use in the EU, then rental company should sort the insurance for you.


Find out more:

Good to know

* To qualify for these additional Member benefits you must be an AA Member at the time of purchasing the policy. The benefits are not available for the Bronze level of travel insurance.

Page updated 2 August 2021
Policy queries

0370 533 2211

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm.

Call now