Driving abroad in Europe

Car insurance cover in Europe

European countries where you're covered

The UK stopped being a member of the EU on 31 January 2020. However, until the end of 2020 the previous rules on travel for the UK and the EU continue to apply.

So as an AA Car Insurance policyholder you can drive anywhere in the EU, and in several other European countries, and get the same cover you enjoy in the UK. You'll be covered abroad for up to 90 days during the 12 months of your policy.

New rules on travel in the EU may take effect on 1 January 2021.

Your car insurance is valid in the following countries:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstien
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
European countries map

Documents for driving abroad in Europe

    Until 31 December 2020
  • Take your Certificate of Motor Insurance if you travel in the EU. This provides details of your insurance cover that you'll need to provide if you have an accident. There's no need for a Green Card.

The multi-lingual leaflet explains how your Certificate of Motor Insurance applies in the countries listed above. You'll find this helpful while driving abroad.

    From 1 January 2021
  • A Green Card may be required in addition to your Certificate of Motor Insurance, plus the log book (V5C) for the vehicle.

  • The Republic of Ireland is within the territorial limit of our car insurance, so policyholders get the same level as cover there as they do in the UK all year round. However, from 1 January 2021 you may need a Green Card when travelling there. It will be valid for the whole policy year.

What is a Green Card?

The Green Card (or International Motor Insurance Card) is an internationally recognised document that shows that you have the minimum insurance cover needed by law in the country you're visiting.

If you're visiting any of the countries listed above after 31 December 2020, for up to 90 days, then you may need a Green Card. Contact us at least 14 days before you travel, and we'll sort it for you free of charge.

Please call 0370 060 0137

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm.

Latest updates on driving abroad

Travelling further afield

Do tell us if you're taking your car to a country that isn't listed above. You'll need to prove that you have car insurance, not just at the border, but after an accident for example. You can get a Green Card if your insurer will cover you for that country, but you may have to pay a fee for this.

Please call us on 0344 412 4684

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm.

Longer trips and business travel abroad

Let us know in advance if you're planning to take your car to Europe for more than 90 days. We can then tell you how much it will cost to get extra insurance cover. Please also tell us if you're planning to use your car for business travel abroad.

Please call us on 0344 412 4684.

Breakdown cover

For peace of mind, AA European Breakdown Cover has a 24-hour English-speaking phone helpline for when you're driving abroad.