What does AA breakdown cover include?
Our breakdown cover gives you peace of mind that you'll be able to get help if you break down. Your roadside assistance will always include:
- 24/7 cover for breakdowns over 1/4 mile from home
- a tow to a nearby garage if we can't fix your vehicle at the roadside
- unlimited call-outs
- If you have an accident, we'll be there to support you with Accident Assist
You can also add extra levels of cover to your policy to build a package that suits you.
Just so you know, you won’t be covered for the following:
roadside assistance after a breakdown or accident that involves the emergency services
- routine maintenance and running repairs
- repeat call-outs for the same fault
Please read our terms and conditions for full details on inclusions and exclusions.
How much cover do I need?
Our breakdown cover's flexible and comes with different amounts of cover. That means you can add and remove bits to create the right policy for you.
Our standard cover includes Roadside Assistance which applies once you're over ¼ mile from home. We’ll send a mechanic to help you any time of the day or night in the UK. And if we can’t fix your vehicle by the roadside, we’ll tow you to a local garage for repair.
All our policies include Roadside Assistance. But if you want more flexibility, you can add these handy extras:
We'll recover your vehicle to any single destination in the UK.
- We’ll take you, your vehicle and up to 7 passengers to wherever you need to be .
- We can take you back home, back to the start of your trip or on to the end of your journey.
- It's useful if we can't fix your vehicle at the roadside and a local garage can't do the repair quickly.
You'll be covered even within ¼ mile of home, right up to your doorstep.
- Around 1 in 4 breakdowns happen at home, so it could be useful to have.
If your vehicle's out of action while it's being repaired, we'll keep you moving.
- We'll help you finish your journey with a choice of car hire, overnight accommodation or public transport costs.
We'll give you help with garage repair bills after a breakdown.
- With our clever little device you can connect your car and smartphone, so you know what your car's really saying.
- Get fault alerts and technical help from our trained team to help prevent breakdowns.
- Helps us know what's wrong with your car and where you are if you break down.
- Compatible with most cars manufactured from 2005 onwards.
Peace of mind from £6 a month
Buy breakdown cover
Do I need personal or vehicle cover?
When you take out a breakdown policy with us, you can choose from personal or vehicle cover.
These are the options for personal cover, which cover you in multiple vehicles:
- Cover for you - As a driver or passenger in any vehicle (including cars, vans and bikes).
- Cover for two - Joint cover for you and someone you live with, as drivers or passengers in any vehicle.
- Family cover - Cover for you and up to 3 other people you live with, as drivers or passengers in any vehicle.
Or you can choose vehicle cover:
- Vehicle cover - Cover for one vehicle, whoever's behind the wheel.
If you’d like to buy personal cover on someone else’s behalf, please call us on 0800 085 2721.
What type of vehicles do you cover?
We'll come to your rescue if you’re in a car, van, minibus, motorhome or on a motorbike.
- We'll cover vehicles of any age or mileage.
- Your vehicle must weigh less than 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg)
- It can't be wider than 8ft 3in (2.55m)
This also applies to any caravans and trailers being towed, to make sure that we'll be able to recover your vehicle if we need to.
However, if your vehicle's used for reward – like a taxi, limo or delivery vehicle – we can't offer our optional Parts and Garage Cover.
If you want cover for a business fleet of cars, vans, trucks and other vehicles, you'll need business breakdown cover.
How soon will I be covered?
Your cover will start 24 hours after the start date you choose. You can set a start date up to 60 days from the day you buy.
- You can only claim on Parts and Garage Cover for breakdowns that happen after the first 14 days of your cover.
You'll get your documents and membership card(s) through the post within 28 days. Make a note of your membership number as soon as you buy, or keep your confirmation email to hand, just in case you break down before you get your documents.
Why should I choose the AA?
Our excellent breakdown service has been awarded 5 stars by independent research company Defaqto, and more than 95% of our reviews recommend us.
We're the UK's largest breakdown company, with over 2,700 mobile mechanics.
- We fix 8 out of 10 cars at the roadside - more than anyone else.
- Our trained experts rescue someone every 10 seconds.
- You'll get exclusive Smart Benefits and discounts when you join.
- We'll handle everything after an accident with Accident Assist
We've been getting people back on the road for over 100 years – since 1905, in fact. Back then, we promised to campaign for road safety and put our Members first. And we're still doing that today.