13 October 2022
Defective and poorly maintained vehicles played a contributory factor in more than 1,700 road casualties last year, up 7% compared to 2020, analysis from AA Approved Garages can reveal1.
Defective brakes were by far the most common defect causing 750 casualties, including 10 fatalities. Tyres came second with 491 casualties, but caused more fatalities with 12 people needlessly losing their lives. Faulty steering and suspensions complete the top three, contributing towards 255 casualties with six fatalities.
With drivers finding themselves in the middle of ‘Frantic Fall2’, AA Approved Garages is highlighting the importance of booking your MOT early3. Similarly, these statistics highlight the importance of regular vehicle checks and servicing to ensure cars are well maintained and safe for the road.
MOTs and servicing are more than just a health check. They can be live-saving interventions that reduce the number of road casualties across the country
AA Approved Garages are also using these figures to warn the government against switching the MOT to a bi-annual vehicle check4. When the idea was first floated, 97% of AA members said the annual MOT test was important, with more than eight out of 10 saying it was “very important” (83%5).
Penny Stoolman, managing director for AA Approved Garages, said: “These tragic stats show how many lives could have been saved had some simple home checks been carried out prior to setting off.
“Likewise, MOTs and servicing are more than just a health check. They can be live-saving interventions that reduce the number of road casualties across the country.
“We are concerned that rumours about switching the MOT from every year to every two years. That would fly in the face of road safety, and we strongly urge the government to rule this out on today6.”
1. Data taken from https://assets.publishing.service.gov.ukAA Approved Garages - Vehicle Defect Casualty Stats - Oct 2022
3. Book 90 days in advance with AA Approved Garages
4. Cost of living crisis: Changes to childcare and MOT rules considered to help budgets - BBC News
5. AA Yonder Driver Poll, May 2022. 13,062 respondents.
6. New Secretary of State for Transport has her first questions session in The Commons on Thursday - Oral questions - What's on - UK Parliament