You may not think about your central heating system too often, but you'll certainly notice if it goes wrong.
To help keep it in good shape, try to get your boiler serviced in the summer to ensure that it's working efficiently before the winter comes.
During the summer too, put the heating on for 15 minutes once a month. This will show the system is working properly and should help clear any debris from the boiler pump.
Improve your energy efficiency
- Insulating your loft will reduce heat loss from your home.
- Use radiator insulation foil behind your radiators to direct heat into your rooms.
- If you have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard, make sure it has a thick thermal jacket, and isn't set higher than 60 degrees.
- If your radiators feel warmer at the bottom and cooler at the top when the heating is on, bleed them to improve efficiency.
Common causes of problems
- Is the boiler power light on? If not, check if a circuit protection device has tripped that you can reset.
- If the boiler has a pilot flame, check it's alight. Follow the manufacturer's instructions if you need to re-ignite it.
- Is there a problem with your gas supply? Ask a neighbour if they're having problems too.
- Is your meter in a cupboard where the on/off meter may have been knocked? Check to see if it's in the right position.
- Has your central heating programmer been set correctly?
- If the room's thermostat is set too low, the heating will fail to start.
- Is the boiler pressure correct? If not, there might be a leak in the system. Be careful when investigating as any escaping water may be very hot. Ideally call qualified engineer.
Stay safe from carbon monoxide
A carbon monoxide alarm is essential to warn you to the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
And if you've got a gas boiler, an annual service by a competent person can help minimise the risk.
Our gas boiler cover including a service is only provided by Gas Safe registered engineers.
Thinking about replacing your boiler?
Take advantage of our affordable prices with a company you can trust
- We provide 'A' rated energy-efficient boilers.
- Exclusive warranty and aftercare package.
- Prices from £1,990.*
* Example of a typical 3 bed house, 1 bathroom, with no additional requirements such as new thermostats, radiators, hot water cylinders or additional pipe work.
Boiler and Central Heating Response Plus
This service covers central heating emergencies including:
- Unlimited call-outs for heating emergencies and repairs.
- Boiler inspection and service by a Gas Safe engineer.
- Gas boiler and central heating breakdowns.
- Common heating repairs, such as the boiler not coming on or fixing a faulty radiator.
Learn more about cover for your central heating
Central Heating Response Plus is a Home Membership option.
AA Home Membership is underwritten by Acromas Insurance Company Limited (AICL) 57-63 Line Wall Road, Gibraltar. Registered number 88716 (Gibraltar). UK branch address: Enbrook Park, Sandgate, Folkestone CT20 3SE. Acromas Insurance Company is authorised by the Financial Services Commission, Gibraltar, and is a member of the Association of British Insurers.
Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), Financial Services Register number 310562.