Car insurance FAQs

If you need to ask about your cover, we're here to help

Frequently asked questions for new customers

About our car insurance

Who underwrites AA Car Insurance?

We set up and administer your policy from the insurers on our car insurance panel. The name of the underwriter will be shown on your car insurance quote.

What levels of cover do you offer?

We offer a range of policies so you can choose just the right cover to meet your needs.

Our standard AA Car Insurance has a Defaqto 5 Star Rating, which means it provides high quality cover.

We also offer three other levels of comprehensive car insurance, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Each level has varying features and benefits, so you can get the best value for money.

There is also Silver third party, fire and theft car insurance, and this cover is only available through price comparison websites.

What ages do you provide insurance for?

We provide cover for drivers aged between 18 and 99.

How can a young driver reduce their car insurance premiums?

Insurance can be expensive for young drivers so we've put together some tips on how to reduce car insurance costs. See our advice for young drivers.

When is my car insurance due?

If you have insurance with us, you can find out when your car insurance is due for renewal by logging into your online account.

If you have insurance through another provider, check your renewal email or letter or call your insurer for your policy details.

Buying your cover

When does my insurance start?

You can buy your insurance up to 30 days before the policy start date.

So when you pay using a debit or credit card, whether online or by phone, you'll be insured from the chosen start date of the policy.

If you get a car insurance quote online, you can use the reference to retrieve the quote for 28 days, as long as your details are the same.

Do AA members get a discount on car insurance?

If you're a member, you could get a discount when you insure your car online for the first time, and on subsequent renewals if you remain a member.

My car has modifications – will they affect my insurance quote?

A vehicle modification is a change to its original specification. This excludes added optional features when the vehicle was purchased from the manufacturer.

Tow bars and parking sensors are not modifications.

If your car has been modified we can give you an online quote for a maximum of three modifications from the following list:

  • Alloy wheels
  • Front spoiler or air dam
  • Locking wheel nuts
  • Rear roof spoiler
  • Rear spoiler or aerofoil
  • Bull bars
  • Dual control
  • Hand controls

Modifications will affect the quote price, as they present a higher risk than original components.

If your car has more than three modifications, or the modification isn't listed, please call us on 0330 053 0228 – we may still be able to give you a quote.

About your payment

Can I spread my payment in monthly instalments?

Yes, you can pay by monthly instalments. When you buy your insurance by monthly instalments an initial deposit is paid by card, then the rest of your payment will be made in 11 monthly instalments by Direct Debit.

The dates of the instalments will be shown in the Credit Agreement sent to you by post – it takes about 5 working days to arrive.

Credit will be provided by Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited, and you must be over 18.

How secure is my online payment?

We keep your personal details and your credit or debit card information private and secure when you buy online.

We do this by using secure server software that encrypts any information you give us. It takes the characters you enter and converts them into a secret code, which is then securely sent to us.

Using the car

Am I covered for towing caravans or trailers?

When towing a caravan or trailer, you're covered for costs you're liable to pay if you cause damage to property, or injury or death to someone.

If you have comprehensive insurance, a single-axle trailer attached to your car will also be covered for damage up to £500. The trailer must be in a safe and roadworthy condition.

When do I need to declare business use?

When you get a quote, select 'Social, domestic, pleasure, commuting and business use' for journeys to various places in connection with your work, such as offices or factories.

Whereas when you travel to a single permanent place of work, select 'Social, domestic, pleasure and commuting'.

If I do voluntary work, do I select business use?

No. When you get a quote, select 'Social, domestic and pleasure' if you use your car for voluntary work.

Our panel of insurers operates under the statement issued by the Association of British Insurers:

'The insurers will insure their policyholders to carry out voluntary driving, that is, the use of a vehicle they own in connection with, or for the benefit of, charities, voluntary organisations, clubs or societies … where payment does not exceed the HMRC mileage rates in force at that time. This does not cover use for hire or reward or vehicles owned by, hired to or lent to the voluntary organisation.'

But if you transport goods or people as part of your voluntary work, then please call 0330 053 0228 for a quote.

If you call us about an existing policy to say you now do voluntary work, we won't charge an administration fee to update it.

Can I drive other cars?

Yes, our comprehensive insurance allows you to drive other vehicles with third-party cover, unless specifically excluded by your insurer. If this cover is excluded, it will be shown on your quote as an endorsement.

If you've already bought car insurance from us, the Certificate of Insurance will confirm you can drive other cars. The conditions that apply to this benefit are in the Car Insurance Policy Booklet.

No claims discount

What is a no claims discount?

A no claims discount is a reward for not making a claim on your car insurance in the past policy year.

The number of no claims discount years will be shown on your renewal invitation or current Certificate of Insurance.

If you do make a claim, your discount will normally be less at the next renewal if your insurer can't get their money back from the person responsible.

Where can I find proof of my no claims discount?

New customers
When you get a car insurance quote, we ask how many years no claims discount you already have. This information is on the cancellation notice or last renewal invitation from your previous insurer.

In order to validate your policy after purchase, we may ask for proof of the discount you've earned. You can send us a copy of the renewal or cancellation notice, or a letter on headed paper from your previous insurer.

The document must be dated within the past 2 years, and isn't used for another vehicle. Also, please tell us about any gap of more than 30 days between your previous and the new AA policy, including claims or convictions.

You can either email or send the document to us:

[email protected]

The AA
Q3, Quorum Business Park
Benton Lane
Newcastle upon Tyne NE12 8EX

The document should show:

  • Your name and address
  • The previous insurance policy number and expiry date
  • The vehicle registration number
  • Number of years no claims discount

On receipt we'll acknowledge the proof of your no claims discount. If we do need further information, we'll allow you sufficient time to provide it. Meanwhile, your AA car insurance policy remains active.

Existing customers
If you already have car insurance with us, the number of years no claims discount is on your Certificate of Insurance. You'll have received a copy at purchase or renewal, either by post or in your online account. If you need a replacement Certificate of Insurance, please call us on 0370 533 2211.

Can I protect my no claims discount?

Yes, you can pay an additional premium to protect your no claims discount.

No claims discount protection allows you to make one or more claims before your number of no claims discount years falls.

A claim for windscreen repair or replacement won't affect your no claims discount.

No claims discount protection doesn't protect the renewal price of your insurance policy. The premium may increase following an accident, even if you weren't at fault.

What is the AA Uninsured Driver Promise?

If you make a claim following an accident that is not your fault, and the driver of the other vehicle is not insured, you won't lose your no claims discount or have to pay any excess.

We just ask you to tell us the other vehicle's make, model and valid registration number, so that we can identify the driver of the other vehicle.

Can a named driver earn a no claims discount on my policy?

Yes they can. Named drivers over 25 can earn their own no claims discount to use on a policy with us. See our page about named drivers.

Security devices

What is a Thatcham certified security device?

Thatcham Research, based in Thatcham, Berkshire, certifies car security products. Most insurers like these products and could give you a discount if you have them in your car.

What is a car tracking device?

A GPS tracker hidden in a car can help the police find it if its stolen, and most cars that have one are found. You can pay up to 10% less for your motor insurance if your car has a GPS tracker.

Your identity check

When you buy insurance from us, we want to be sure no one else is using your identity. That's why we may send an email after purchase asking you to complete an identity check.

When you start the check, our trusted partner Mitek will ask you to upload a selfie image and a copy of your driving licence or other identity documents. This is done via a secure portal and your details won't be kept or used for any other purpose.

Mitek will only share your personal details with us, and once the identity check is done Mitek will delete all of your documents.

Car insurance

0330 053 0228

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm.

Call now

Policy queries

0370 533 2211

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm.

Call now