When travelling abroad, you'll want a trouble-free trip. And many of the things that go wrong can be prevented or made less stressful by taking a few simple precautions before you travel.
Wherever you're planning to go – Europe or further afield – the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Travel Aware website offers straightforward travel advice, top tips, and up-to-date country information to help you plan your holiday.
You can also find handy checklists before you set off and while you're away.
FCO tips include:
- Make sure you have valid travel insurance, even if you're only planning a short trip.
- Check what vaccinations you need by visiting www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk, your travel health clinic or GP at least 6 weeks before you travel.
- Read up on your destination, including local laws and customs.
- Make photocopies of your passport, visas and insurance details, and leave a copy with a relative or friend at home.
- Read up on what the local British Consulate can do to help you if you run into problems abroad – and what they can't do.
You can contact the FCO here.
Driving to Europe?
Make sure you're up to speed with the latest driving requirements for each country and local laws, and don’t forget to check out our European driving advice. You'll find everything you need for driving in Europe in the AA Shop.