Travel Advice

Thomas Cook

Thomas Cook has confirmed that all the companies in its group have ceased trading, including Thomas Cook Airlines.

Are you currently abroad?

The Civil Aviation Authority CAA have released the following advice to Thomas Cook customers who are already abroad.

Are you booked with Thomas Cook?

If you have booked a package trip with a travel firm that is ATOL bonded (which Thomas Cook is) and received confirmation that you are ATOL protected, the travel firm is responsible for your flight arrangements and must either make alternative flights available for you so that your trip can continue or give you a full refund. If you're abroad, it should make arrangements to bring you home at the end of your trip. You can contact the ATOL travel firm for more information.

If you booked a flight only – directly with Thomas Cook  and paid by credit card, you may be protected under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and should contact your card issuer for further information.  Similarly, if you paid by debit or charge card, you should contact your card issuer for advice as you may be able to make a claim under their charge back rules.

ATOL protection means customers may be able to make a claim under the scheme if:

  • You booked a holiday that you are due to take in the future, but the travel company that has since collapsed.
  • The travel company has collapsed while you are on holiday, meaning the holiday has been disrupted or the flight home cancelled.
    • Holidays - All flight-inclusive holidays offered by Thomas Cook are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. When you paid for your holiday, you should have been given an ATOL certificate.
    • Flights - Not all flights offered and sold by Thomas Cook are protected by the ATOL scheme. If you didn't receive ATOL certificate then the flight booking isn’t ATOL protected.

Frequently asked questions

What is ATOL?

ATOL stand for ‘Air Travel Organisers License’ and by law, any company that sells ‘air holidays’ in the UK is required to have a license. ATOL is part of the Civil Aviation Authority which is a UK Government Agency. The ATOL scheme is designed to protect UK holidays in the event of the travel company they have booked through going bust or out of business. The scheme protects holiday makers from being stranded abroad or losing money in such events.

How do I know whether my flights / holiday have ATOL Protection?

If you have ATOL protection your documentation would have included an ATOL certificate.

What is the ATOL protection certificate?

When selling package holidays travel agents and tour operators must now give you a certificate explaining how your holidays are protected.

Useful links

ATOL website


Star rated travel insurance

For your single trip or annual multi-trips