Log in or register
My AA Account

Sign in to see your cover and request assistance online

Log in

Don’t have a My AA account?

You’ll need your policy or membership number

Create an account

Your Finances

Loans | Savings | Credit Cards

Your Driving Lessons

Book a lesson


Keep your business moving with our flexible cover

Save 30% on our standard rate when you buy online

Which vehicles do you cover?

We cover a large number of specialist vehicles that are 3.5 tonnes or under, including:

  • Taxi or minicab
  • Hire/rental vehicle
  • Courier van and motorbike
  • Ambulance, police car and fire engines
  • Delivery/goods vehicle
  • Dairy vehicles and ice cream van
  • Trade plate vehicle

If you’re not sure if your vehicle would be covered, you can give us a call on 0800 55 11 88 to check.


Not what you’re looking for?

If this doesn’t sound like the right fit for your business, check out the other commercial protection we offer – including minibus cover and pay as you go truck rescue.

Specialist vehicles cover options

Prices are approximate, per vehicle and based on 3 to 5 vehicles.

£152 for the year
£239 for the year
£302 for the year
Roadside Assistance

24/7 cover for breakdowns over a quarter of a mile from your vehicle’s registered address. If we can't complete repairs at the roadside we'll take your vehicle to a nearby garage.

Home Start

Brings cover to within a quarter of a mile of your vehicle’s registered address. You can arrange a time for us to arrive that suits you too.


If we can't fix your vehicle at the roadside or arrange a quick local repair, we’ll take your driver and passengers home or to one destination – as long as it’s anywhere on the UK mainland.

Accident Management

Get assistance with vehicle recovery, repairs and processing insurance claims after accidents or vandalism. Accident Management can only be bought with Relay.

“Over the years, the AA has provided a consistent high level of service and delivery to our customers. As a business they understand our challenges and have assisted us with standard and exceptional breakdown situations.”

Simon Pilcher, Supplier Manager, Leaseplan
“No other provider has such an all-encompassing array of services as the AA – even offering video calls to its technical helpdesk. Patrols are well-equipped with the AA making a significant investment in the latest diagnostics tools.”

Judging panel, Fleet News Awards 2016
Good to know

AA Breakdown Cover is arranged by Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited. Registered office: Fanum House, Basing View, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 4EA. Registered in England and Wales number 2414212.

Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). You can check their register online.

Policy documents

Our taxi, courier and van breakdown cover policy documents give you all the details of what is and isn’t included.

Fleet cover
For policies starting from 1 November 2014:

Fleet cover (May 2018)


I don't have cover. Can you send someone if I have an emergency now?

Yes. You can call us on 0800 420 420 to get help straight away.

We'll tell you how much it’ll cost to fix the problem and send an engineer as soon as possible.

I have a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) – can it be covered under taxi, courier and van vehicle cover?

No, if you’ve got a HGV or a vehicle that’s more than 3.5 tonnes you’d need to take out Truck Breakdown Cover.
How much is the VAT on specialist breakdown cover?

We don’t charge VAT on specialist breakdown cover.
How long will it take to open my account?

Your account will be opened as soon as we receive your completed application form and payment.
When will I be able to start using my cover?

You can use your cover 48 hours after opening an account.
Do I need my breakdown card if I need to call out the breakdown service?

Yes. Your card has the telephone number for your driver to phone in a breakdown situation, and quoting your card number will help us to find your details on the system. You’ll also need to show a valid card when the patrol arrives.

You should receive your breakdown card around seven days after your account is opened.
Will my company be invoiced if a patrol has to fit spare parts?

If this happens, the driver would have to pay for the part there and then unless alternative arrangements had been made before the call-out.

What if I sell one of my covered vehicles mid-way through my breakdown cover period?

You can add another vehicle in its place at any point up to renewal of your cover. If a replacement vehicle isn’t allocated, we won’t be able to give you a refund or credit.

Is my vehicle covered in Europe?

No. If you need to cover your drivers for breakdown and recovery in Europe you’ll need to take out Fleet Europe annual cover
Call now to buy taxi, van and courier breakdown cover

0800 316 0410

Open: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

0800 316 0410

Call now to renew your cover

0800 551 188

Open: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

0800 551 188