Business breakdown cover

Car and van business cover

Keep your business moving

If your business relies on your vehicles running smoothly, you'll need cover you can count on to keep them on the road. Our business breakdown cover will get help to your cars and vans, so they're good to go quickly – and with minimum disruption – if the worst happens. All you need to do is choose the right level of cover for you.

There's a choice of product add-ons including National Recovery (Relay), Relay Plus and Accident Management.

Which vehicles can be covered?

Whether you just have a single vehicle or run a whole fleet, we can cover your cars, vans, trucks and more – as long as they’re 3.5 tonnes or under. If you’re not sure if your vehicle would be eligible, you can call us on 0800 316 0410 to check.

I need cover for something else

“Over the years, the AA has provided a consistent high level of service and delivery to our customers. As a business they understand our challenges and have assisted us with standard and exceptional breakdown situations.”

Simon Pilcher, Supplier Manager, Leaseplan
“No other provider has such an all-encompassing array of services as the AA – even offering video calls to its technical helpdesk. Patrols are well-equipped with the AA making a significant investment in the latest diagnostics tools.”

Judging panel, Fleet News Awards 2016

Good to know
  • Car and van cover is also known as Fleet Breakdown Cover. For full Ts&Cs, see the Fleet Breakdown Cover policy.
  • The price you pay will depend on the number of vehicles you need cover for and the product add-ons, such as Accident Management, you choose.
  • Parts and Garage Cover (Breakdown Repair Cover) and European Breakdown Cover (Fleet Europe Cover) have their own Ts&Cs.
  • If you are an existing customer and you have any questions about your cover, you can get in touch with us on 0800 55 11 88 (Option 1).
  • AA Breakdown Cover is arranged by Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited. Registered office: Fanum House, Basing View, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 4EA. Registered in England and Wales number 2414212.
  • Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). You can check their register online.
Policy documents

Here's where you'll find all the policy documents relating to this type of cover.


I don't have cover. Can you send someone if I have an emergency now?

Yes. You can call us on 03300 530 420 to get help straight away.

We'll tell you how much it’ll cost to fix the problem and send an engineer as soon as possible.

I have a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) – can it be covered under business breakdown cover?

No, if you have a HGV or a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes, you’d need to take out pay as you go truck cover.
How much is the VAT on business breakdown cover?

We don’t charge VAT on specialist breakdown cover.
How long will it take for my business account to be set up?

Your account will be set up as soon as you fill in your username, password and memorable question details, after you pay for your cover. Your cover won’t start until you have sent us your vehicle number plate details. 

When will I be able to use my car and van business breakdown cover?

You can make a claim 24 hours after your cover starts, or after you add vehicle details.

Do I need my breakdown card to call out the breakdown service?

Yes. Your card has the telephone number for your driver to phone in a breakdown situation, and quoting your card number will help us to find your details on the system. You’ll also need to show a valid card when the patrol arrives.

You should receive your breakdown card around 7 days after your account is opened.
Will my company be invoiced if a patrol has to fit spare parts?

If this happens, the driver would have to pay for the part there and then unless alternative arrangements had been made before the callout.

What if I sell one of my covered vehicles mid-way through my breakdown cover period?

You can add another vehicle in its place at any point up to renewal of your cover. If a replacement vehicle isn’t allocated, we won’t be able to give you a refund or credit.

Does business breakdown cover include accident support?

Not as standard, but you can add Accident Management to your Fleet or Specialist Vehicle cover. We also provide Accident Management as a separate service for larger customers.

Breakdown Repair cover

Do I have to keep my fleet regularly serviced?

Yes. Once you’ve nominated a vehicle for Breakdown Repair Cover then you'll need to keep it serviced as recommended by the manufacturer. Servicing must be done by a professional garage business or in-house workshop staffed by qualified mechanics.

Make sure you keep hold of your receipts and invoices as you may be asked to produce evidence of servicing when you make a claim.

Can I claim straightaway?

No. You won’t be able to claim for parts or repairs if you break down during the first 14 days after your agreed policy start date. After this period, your cover will apply.

Can I take my vehicle directly to my garage?

No. You’ll need to request assistance under your business breakdown cover.

If I have more than one vehicle in my fleet, do I have to nominate all my vehicles?

Yes, you need to nominate all vehicles that you'd like to be covered.

What do I do if I change or add a vehicle?

You can easily update your policy to cover a replacement vehicle. Just check the eligibility requirements for your new vehicle and call us on 0800 55 11 88 as soon possible. You won’t be able to make a claim for that vehicle if it breaks down within the first 14 days after you’ve let us know about the change.

Who can I talk to if I still have questions?

If you still have questions, get in touch with us on 0800 55 11 88.

Prefer to talk? Get in touch to buy cover

0800 316 0410

Open: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Call us

Renew, change or cancel your cover

0800 55 11 88

Open: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Call us