The AA bought its first Land Rovers in 1948 for use on night breakdown work in London
The AA bought its first Land Rovers in 1948 for use on night breakdown work in London. They were able to carry more equipment than the traditional AA motorcycle combinations, including bulky two-way radio sets, and could also tow.
Land Rovers soon proved themselves in AA service and became widely used, particularly in the Highlands of Scotland and other remote areas of the UK.
This example is thought to be part of a large batch of Land Rovers with consecutive 'MYR' registrations bought by the AA in 1952
The AA bought the vehicle back when it was spotted for sale in Norfolk in 1992. It needed a complete restoration which was carried out by specialists in Derbyshire.
The livery was re-created from period photographs. The black front wings serve no practical purpose and were simply designed to match AA motorcycles, which had black mudguards at the time.
Series One Land Rover
Later AA Land Rovers were fitted with custom-made hard tops and heaters, but early versions had neither.
Equipment carried was basic, and included a trolley jack, tailboard-mounted vice, wheelbrace, tyre levers, jerrycans of oil, water and petrol, and a slave battery for jump-starting.
Patrols had their own toolkits, generally carried in old ammunition boxes.
This example, one of two Series One Land Rovers owned by the AA, is now looked after by Patrol Tony Knott, from Bracknell, Berkshire. This vehicle recently completed the John O'Groats to Lands' End charity run raising nearly £25,000 for children's hospitals
(13 August 2012)