The AA Rosette award, first awarded in 1956, was the first nationwide scheme for assessing the quality of food served by restaurants and hotels. Our team of inspectors have an unrivalled wealth of experience in assessing quality throughout the UK so receiving the award is a huge achievement not to be underestimated. The Rosette is an award, not a classification: Rosettes are awarded annually on a rising scale based on a meal visit by one or more of our inspectors. Find out more about what it takes to be awarded a Rosette.
The small print
- Only restaurants which are open a minimum of 4 days per week to the general public will be considered, and service needs to be either lunch or dinner or a combination of both.
- Restaurants which are within a hotel, B&B, inn or any establishment with rooms will require membership to the appropriate accommodation scheme
- It is entirely at the discretion of the AA whether a visit will take place and in what time frame. If an inspector visits and an award of 1 or 2 Rosettes is made, you will be notified in writing.
- Establishments which hold Rosettes will be sent an annual Restaurant Guide questionnaire. This information is also used to update the annual AA guide and restaurant profiles online. Failure to complete and return may result in exclusion from these marketing channels, any future visits from an AA Inspector and ultimately loss of the AA Rosette award. Please take the time to complete and return the form promptly.
Multiple restaurants within one establishment
In the case of an AA rated hotel or guest accommodation with a Rosette award having more than one restaurant and wishing to have the food at the second restaurant tested for a Rosette award, this restaurant must have:
- A different head chef to the other restaurant
- A separate kitchen
- A different food style
- All other Rosette criteria apply
Being assessed for an AA Rosette award
Restaurants are inspected for inclusion on theAA.com on a recommendation basis. You cannot apply for this award. AA inspectors select restaurants recommended to us in their local area.
For more information on the requirements for achieving a Rosette award, read the Industry guidelines for AA Rosette awards.