AA Driving School Ts&Cs
We may change our terms from time to time. If this happens, we’ll let you know and any changes will take effect straight away.
- Your instructor
- L-Drive app Ts&Cs
- Restrictions on the use of the L-Drive app
- Cancellation of lessons
- Payment and lesson bookings
- Price changes
- Special offers and discounts
- Refund policy and warranty
- Transferability of lessons
- Fraud prevention
- Limitation of liability
- Short notice test
- Customer care and complaints
- Collection and use of data
- Recommend a friend
- Law applying to Ts&Cs
- Registered address
Your instructor is a self-employed franchisee of Automobile Association Developments Limited.
AA The Driving School Agency Limited (AA DSL) acts as agent for your instructor in receiving your driving tuition payments, unless you’ve made these directly to your instructor. Where AA Driving School and/or AA DSL make bookings with, or supplies any information or documentation to you, or processes any payments for your lessons, they act as the agent of your instructor.
The contract for driving tuition is solely between you and your instructor.Back to top
Tuition is only available if:
- You're aged 17 or over, or aged 16 or over and receive the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance (mobility component); and
- hold a valid UK provisional driving licence; and
- are legally entitled to drive in the UK.
The L-Drive app may be available if the driving instructor is registered to provide the service in support of tuition.
L-Drive app Ts&Cs
By downloading or otherwise accessing the app, you agree to these conditions:
Feedback via the app will only be provided where an instructor has registered to provide tuition with this support.
Where the instructor has registered to provide feedback via the app, this isn’t guaranteed after every lesson and will only be provided at the discretion of the driving instructor.
You’ll only have access to the app once you’ve registered with us and have received your login details.
The opinions expressed in the feedback are solely those of the instructor and don’t reflect any opinion of the AA.
The app enables you to enter comments and receive feedback. You’re solely responsible for any content that you enter.
The AA doesn’t monitor or screen the content of information posted or received by you but we reserve the right to suspend, block or remove any user content from the app at any time, for any reason (including, but not limited to, receipt of third-party claims or allegations relating to such content or breach of this Agreement by you).
You must only use the app when it’s legal and safe to do so, in accordance with all relevant traffic and highway laws, rules and codes.
You must only use the app when the vehicle you’re in is stationery, with the engine switched off and parked in a safe place. You agree not to use a handheld device in contravention of the law, the Highway Code or other official safety recommendations.
The app may only be used for authorised purposes by users who have agreed to this Agreement. You must not corrupt, falsify or distort any content on the app.
You’re responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your app login details and shall take all reasonable steps to keep this information confidential.
If you give us information about another person, in doing so you confirm that they’ve authorised you to provide it to us, and they consent to us processing their personal data (including any sensitive personal information) having been made aware of who we are and what we’ll use their data for, as set out in this notice. We reserve the right to request confirmation or to otherwise verify that you have such authorisation.
All rights, title and interest in the information recorded and entered into the app is the property of AA Driving School which acts as Data Controller, as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998.
All data and content added by you to the app shall remain on your device until you delete it.
We’ll use reasonable efforts to make the app available at all times. However, the app is made available over the mobile networks - the quality and availability of which may be outside of our control.
We can’t accept any responsibility for the unavailability of the app, or any difficulty or inability to access content. The app is provided ‘as is’ without warranties, condition or representations of any kind, whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement compatibility, security and accuracy.
We may discontinue, change or remove the app (or these conditions of use) at any time and for any reason without giving you any notice.
The AA Driving School disclaims liability in connection with any technical problems you may experience whilst using the app that may result in interruptions to its service.
The app will become inactive after 60 days if not accessed and used. If you continue to use the telematics function of the app after completion of your tuition, we’ll continue to record and store the details of your journey.
Anonymous telematics data will be used for analytical and statistical purposes. Individual records shall be maintained for as long as necessary, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
You’ll comply with all reasonable guidelines issued by us from time to time in relation to your use of the app.
Any trademarks, copyright, and other intellectual property rights in the app and data made available via it belong to us or our third party suppliers or licensors and don’t belong to you. You won’t attempt to pass off the data made available on the app as your own, or encourage anyone else to.
In the event that we reasonably believe that you’re failing to comply with these Ts&Cs, we have the right to suspend your use of the app with immediate effect. The suspension may, at our sole discretion, remain in force until you’re able to demonstrate to our reasonable satisfaction that these terms haven’t and won’t be breached by you.
We don’t limit its liability to you for death or personal injury arising from its negligence, or for fraud, fraudulent misrepresentation or any other liability that can’t be excluded under English law.
We’ll have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
These Ts&Cs and any dispute, claim or obligation (whether contractual or non-contractual) arising out of or in connection with them, their subject matter or formation shall be governed by English law. You agree that the English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim relating to your use of the app.
Restrictions on the use of the L-Drive app
You won’t authorise any third party to:
1. Make copies of the app;
2. modify, decompile, disassemble, translate into another computer language, create derivative work, access the source code, hack, decrypt, rename files, or otherwise reverse engineer the app;
3. permit use of the app by anyone other than authorised users;
4. incorporate any portion of the app into any products which will be sold, licensed or transferred to a third party;
5. distribute, sell, lease, transfer, assign, trade, rent, lend or publish the app or license, sub-license or cross-license it or any part thereof and/or copies thereof to others or otherwise make available to any third party any of the data made available to you via the app;
6. use the app to post or otherwise transmit any materials that are harmful, fraudulent, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, profane, pornographic, obscene, libellous, offensive or otherwise objectionable; or that promote discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment or harm against an individual or group; or that promote illegal or harmful activities or substances; or that have the effect of harassing or stalking any person, or otherwise offend the acceptable use standards set by the us;
7. post or otherwise transmit any content through the app that would negatively affect the functioning of the system, including without limitation (i) any harmful, disruptive or destructive files or computer programs; or (ii) would impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the system’s infrastructure;
8. use the app or any part of it in violation of any law or regulation, or for any purpose other than that as expressly permitted in this Agreement;
9. access, use or copy all or any part of the app to build a product or service which competes with it;
10. use the app in any way that interrupts, impairs or renders it less efficient; or
11. access or attempt to access the accounts of others or to penetrate or attempt to penetrate any security measures.
You and your instructor are responsible for agreeing all matters relating to the timing, location and duration of individual lessons.
On your first lesson you must present your instructor with a valid provisional licence.
You must notify your instructor of any matters which affect your ability or entitlement to have driving tuition, eg any lack or loss of a valid UK professional driving licence.
When you book, we’ll let you know about the availability of an instructor operating in your location who offers L-Drive app supported lessons.Back to top
Cancellation of lessons
If you or your instructor want to cancel a lesson, a minimum of 48 hours’ prior notice should be given. If your instructor cancels a lesson without giving this, they’ll rearrange the lesson. Cancellations made by you must be confirmed through the Customer Service Centre or directly between you and your instructor. Please note that the CSC is not open on Sundays. Cancellation requests cannot be actioned outside of office hours.
If you don’t give at least 48 hours’ notice of cancellation you’ll be charged for the lesson(s) concerned in full. In the event of you having booked your driving test, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) requires you to give three clear working days to cancel your test. This may mean that you may lose your DVSA test fee if your instructor says you’re not ready for your test within this three-day notice period.Back to top
Payment and lesson bookings
You must pay for any tuition at least 48 hours before the start of the lesson. Please note that the CSC is not open on Sundays. Payments cannot be taken outside of office hours. You can use one of the following methods:
1. Payment by credit or debit card online.
2. Payment can be made online via debit or credit card. Gift options are available.
2.1 You’ll be charged a booking fee (as notified to you before you make a payment) on the purchase price of your initial lesson package, either online or through our AA Driving School Customer Service centre.
2.2 Voucher and gift cards have no cash value and have to be redeemed against tuition.
2.3 Voucher and gift cards aren't transferable once they've been redeemed.
2.4 Cards are valid until the date shown on them.
3. Payment by cash or cheque direct to your instructor (any cheque must be made payable to your instructor).
AA Driving School has no responsibility or liability to you for payments made by any other means. If you pay your instructor directly by any method, you should make sure you get a receipt. AA Driving School accepts no responsibility for any payments made directly to instructors.Back to top
The cost of pre-paid tuition is based on the lesson price at the time of booking and, with the exception of the circumstances below, this will be honoured for 12 months afterwards - irrespective of any price increase that may occur between the date of booking and when the lessons are taken. Any unused lessons remaining after 12 months have elapsed will be subject to any lesson price increase applied prior to the lessons which shall become payable by you.
Where you've prepaid, you'll either be required to pay any additional amounts beyond the cost of your prepaid lessons or receive a refund of some of your prepayments (as applicable) where you've:
1. Moved postcode area and requested re-allocation to another instructor because your current instructor doesn’t operate in the new area, you’ll be required to cover any difference in the hourly rate between those instructors if your new instructor charges a higher hourly rate. If your instructor charges a lower rate, you’ll be refunded the difference.
2. Requested to switch instructors within the same postcode area and your new instructor charges a higher hourly rate than your previous instructor, you’ll be required to pay the difference in the hourly rate. If your instructor charges a lower rate, you’ll receive a refund of the difference.
3. Requested to switch instructors in the same postcode area and your new instructor charges a supplement (eg, an additional fee for tuition in a car with automatic transmission), you’ll be required to pay any such supplement.
4. Not undertaken any lessons for a period of three months and have been re-allocated an instructor after a price rise in tuition has taken place, you’ll be required to pay the difference in price for your remaining lessons.
5. Purchased lessons with a trainee instructor and, at your request, you’re re-allocated to a fully qualified instructor you’ll be required to pay the difference in the hourly rate between the trainee and the qualified instructors.
Special offers and discounts
AA Driving School has a great range of offers and discounts for new and existing learner pupils on learning to drive and other related products. We reserve the right to introduce (and to withdraw) special offers from time to time.
Introductory offers are only available to new learner pupils. They can't be used in conjunction with other offers and aren't transferable.Back to top
Refund policy and warranty
You can cancel your pre-paid tuition at any time (for the provisions relating to the cancellation of individual lessons see ’Cancellation of lessons’ above). If you haven’t taken any lesson(s) at the time of cancellation you’ll be entitled to a full refund of any amounts paid to AA Driving School, subject to these points:
1. If you’ve taken lesson(s) at the time of cancellation you won’t be eligible for a refund on any lessons taken, inclusive of the booking fee (if applicable).
2. Where possible, we’ll refund you using the same method you used to pay for your lessons. If for any reason we’re not able to do this, we’ll refund you by any other method we think is appropriate.
3. We may request additional information from you to confirm your identity to comply with the Money laundering Regulations 2007; we’ll use this information to make sure we follow our Merchant Operating Instructions for card collection facilities.
4. Refunds may take up to 10 working days to reach you or your account.
5. Refund of partial block bookings will be made pro rata on any lessons not taken.
6. In the event of a ‘buy one get one free’ offer, no refund will take place once the first lesson has been taken.
7. If you’ve paid using a pre-paid gift card or AA voucher, we won’t be able to offer a refund after redemption of the card or voucher.
If you’ve paid your instructor for the tuition you want to cancel, your instructor will refund you following these same principles.
Transferability of lessons
You can't sell or transfer lessons which have been purchased in your name to any other person.Back to top
Your lessons are only valid if they’re purchased through the channels outlined in the ‘Payment and lesson bookings’ section above. If they’ve been purchased through another source, contact us immediately. In the event that some or all of your lessons weren’t purchased in accordance with these terms, AA Driving School reserve the right to suspend these lessons in your account, with immediate effect.
An investigation will then be conducted by the AA Driving School to check the validity of the purchase. Where the results of the investigation determine that the lessons aren’t valid, they won’t be provided to you and the AA Driving School will have no liability in these circumstances.
Limitation of liability
Your instructor, AA Driving School and/or AA DSL aren’t liable to you for any loss or damage caused where, and to the extent that:
• There’s no breach of a legal duty owed to you by your instructor, AA Driving School and/or AA DSL;
• such loss or damage is not a reasonably foreseeable result of such a breach;
• any such loss or damage, or increase in loss or damage, results from any breach or omission by you;
• any such loss or damage results from circumstances or matters outside of the reasonable control of your instructor, AA Driving School and/or AA DSL.
Your instructor, AA Driving School and/or AA DSL shall not, in any event, be liable for losses relating to any business interest you may have including, without limitation, lost profits, lost earnings, loss of opportunity or business or business interruption.
You’re reminded that neither AA Driving School and/or AA DSL are parties to the contract for driving tuition itself, which is between you and your instructor. This doesn’t affect any liability that AA Driving School and/or AA DSL may have for any loss or damage you may incur which is caused directly as a result of any breach (including negligence) by it or them of any legal duty owed by it or them to you.
Nothing in these Ts&Cs will affect any statutory rights you may have as a consumer.
Your instructor will carry the appropriate motor insurance to provide comprehensive cover should you be involved in a collision as a learner driver, whilst in control of driving the instructor’s tuition vehicle.Back to top
Short notice test
A short notice test is when there’s two weeks or less from the date of the first planned lesson to the date of your booked test.
A short notice test package consists of five hours of instructor and tuition vehicle time as a minimum. This includes a two-hour driving assessment and a further three hours covering the day of your driving test.
As a minimum, you’ll need to pay for five hours of tuition before any lessons can be booked.
Additional hours bought within the short notice test period will be charged at the instructor’s standard hourly tuition rate plus £5.
If you fail your test and need more lessons, these will be charged at your instructor’s standard hourly tuition rate.
If you change your mind and want to cancel your short notice test package lessons a minimum of 48 hours cancellation notice is required, prior to the initial 2-hour assessment lesson, for a full refund. Please see our ‘Cancellation of lessons’ and ‘Refund policy and warranty ‘sections for our standard cancellation and refund policy Ts&Cs.
During the initial two-hour assessment lesson you’ll be evaluated by your instructor. If, after this, the instructor tells you that you’re not ready for the test, they’re under no obligation to take you.e. Your instructor will advise you of the next steps needed to become test ready.
The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency require you to give three clear working days to cancel or re-schedule your test. This means that you may lose your Driving Standards Agency test fee if your instructor says that you’re not ready for the test after the initial two-hour assessment lesson. In these circumstances neither AA Driving School or your instructor are liable for the cost of any lost driving test fee.
If you decide to reschedule your test to a later date, you can use the unused pre-paid hour(s) for further tuition toward the new test date.
This offer can’t be taken in conjunction with any other offer.
Customer care and complaints
Your contract is between you and your instructor.
In the event of any problem arising, you should resolve this with your instructor immediately, in the first instance. We recommend you don’t take any further lessons with that instructor until the matter’s resolved. Another instructor can be allocated upon request.
If you have any concerns or complaints about any part of your driving tuition which can’t be resolved directly with your instructor, you can write to our Customer Care department at the address below. The Customer Care team will aim to respond to your written query within five working days. In the unlikely event that you’re unable to reach a satisfactory conclusion, we’ll be happy to investigate further until the matter is resolved. We’ll require evidence of any financial transactions and lesson times before we’re able to investigate. You should therefore keep your Driver Record (given to you by your instructor) details accurate and up to date. If you want us to investigate any matter, contact our Special Investigations team:
Email: [email protected]
Post: AA Driving School, Capital Tower 17th Floor, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff CF10 3AG
If you still feel dissatisfied, you can contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency on 0300 200 1122.
Collection and use of data
To find out more about how we use your personal information, please read our Driving School Privacy Notice.
'Force Majeure’ means an event or sequence of events beyond our reasonable control preventing or delaying us from performing our obligations. We won’t be liable if delayed in or prevented from performing our obligations under these Ts&Cs due to Force Majeure.
A waiver of any rights under these Ts&Cs or law is only effective if it’s in writing and not deemed to be a waiver of any subsequent breach or default. No failure or delay by a party in exercising any right or remedy provided under these Ts&Cs or by law shall constitute a waiver of that or any other right or remedy, nor shall it prevent or restrict its further exercise of that or any other right or remedy. No single or partial exercise of such right or remedy shall prevent or restrict the further exercise of that or any other right or remedy.
If any provision or part-provision of these Ts&Cs is or becomes invalid, illegal or unenforceable, it shall be deemed modified to the minimum extent necessary to make it valid, legal and enforceable. If such modification isn’t possible, the relevant provision or part-provision shall be deemed deleted. Any modification to or deletion of a provision or part-provision under this clause won’t affect the validity and enforceability of the rest of the terms.
These Ts&Cs aren’t intended to give rights to anyone except you and us. The rights of any third parties are specifically excluded.
Recommend a friend
1. The offer
1.1 This offer is for an e-gift card for www.amazon.co.uk (the "Gift Card") for:
(a) each individual who recommends a new pupil to the AA Driving School or BSM (the "Recommender"); and
(b) each individual who was recommended and becomes a new pupil of the AA Driving School or BSM (the "Recommended Friend").
1.2 By taking part in the offer, the parties accept these terms and conditions.
2. How to take part
2.1 The Recommender must:
(a) be at least 17 years old;
(b) provide their friend with their name and AA pupil number;
(c) have had at least 2 hours of driving lessons with the AA Driving School or BSM in the previous 6 months before their details are given to us by the Recommended Friend; and
(d) not recommend themselves.
2.2 The Recommended Friend must:
(a) be at least 17 years old;
(b) call us and provide the name and AA pupil number of the Recommender; and
(c) within 6 months of calling us, have a minimum of 2 hours of driving lessons with the AA Driving School or BSM.
2.3 This offer can only be redeemed by calling us and is not available online.
2.4 The offer is only open to residents of the UK.
3. General terms
3.1 We accept no responsibility for offer entries not successfully completed or submitted due to a technical fault (such as a technical malfunction, computer hardware or software failure, satellite, network or server failure) of any kind.
3.2 The Gift Card will be emailed to the Recommender and the Recommended Friend within 30 days of the participation conditions being met. We are not responsible for any Gift Cards not received due to a technical fault.
3.3 Amazon.co.uk is not a sponsor of this promotion.
3.4 Gift Cards may be redeemed on the www.amazon.co.uk website towards the purchase of eligible products available on www.amazon.co.uk. Gift Cards cannot be reloaded, resold, transferred for value, redeemed for cash or applied to any other account. Amazon.co.uk is not responsible if a Gift Card is lost, stolen, destroyed or used without permission. See www.amazon.co.uk/gc-legal for complete terms and conditions.
3.5 We retain the right to substitute the Gift Card with another prize of similar value.
3.6 The Gift Card is not negotiable or transferable through the AA for any other product or service or a cash alternative.
3.7 If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, we may, at our sole discretion, reserve the right to exclude parties from participating in the offer.
3.8 We reserve the right to hold void, suspend, cancel or amend the offer where it has become necessary to do so.Back to top
Law applying to Ts&Cs
These Ts&Cs are governed by the laws of England and Wales and are subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.Back to top
Automobile Association Developments Limited
Registered office: Fanum House, Basing View, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 4EA
Registered in England and Wales number 1878835