29 March 2021
The governments for England, Wales and Scotland have been busy planning out their roadmaps to exit the recent pandemic lockdowns. Read on to find out when driving lessons and tests are pencilled in to return in the UK.
Return dates for driving lessons are subject to government approval and may change in the next few weeks, depending on the situation in each country.
- In England, driving lessons are proposed to return on Monday 12th April
- In Scotland, driving lessons are proposed to return when restrictions are eased from Monday 26th April and can currently take place in areas which are in protection level 3
- In Wales, the earliest driving lessons can return is Monday 12th April
Robert Cowell, interim managing director for AA Driving School said: “Hope is on the horizon for learners and driving instructors as we get closer to an announcement on the final dates for lessons and tests to return.
“We’ve been using this time to make sure our systems will be able to cope with the huge demand after lockdown when booking reopens.
“Learners who are keen to find out when lessons are back in their area can sign up to book lessons on our website.”
What’s happening with driving tests in the UK?
- In England, car theory tests are planned to return from Monday 12th April. If plans are confirmed, practical driving tests should follow from Thursday 22nd April
- In Scotland, the government has said driving tests will not return before Monday 26th April
- In Wales, theory tests are set to re-start from Monday 12th April with practical tests returning from Thursday 22nd April
As with driving lessons, driving test re-start dates are subject to government approval and may change in the next few weeks, depending on the situation in each country.
Find more updates on driving test rules on the UK government website.
What are the AA’s safety measures for driving lessons?
AA Driving School instructors have safe systems of work in place to ensure that their vehicles are cleaned thoroughly while teaching pupils to minimise risk.
Driving instructors have been given clear guidance on the use of PPE, vehicle cleanliness, ventilation and contact with pupils prior to lessons to confirm both parties are well.
Visit theaa.com/driving-school to find local instructors and book driving lessons after lockdown.