Learner Drivers' Car Insurance

Car insurance advice for learner drivers

If you're a learner driver, insuring a car is likely to be expensive. Statistically, inexperienced drivers are a greater risk for insurers than drivers who have been driving longer, because claims made by young drivers tend to cost more than those made by older drivers.* Here we look at the cover that's available and offer some tips that could help reduce the cost of your car insurance.

Learning in someone else's car

You may wish to practise driving with a relative or a friend in their car; if you do, you must make sure that you are insured to drive the vehicle before you take to the road. You can do this in two ways.

Learner driver insurance

The AA has teamed up with Collingwood Insurance Services (UK) Ltd to provide insurance for learner drivers. This short term insurance policy provides you with the flexibility of gaining extra driving practice in someone else's car as and when required.

Drive your parents', grandparents', siblings'; or friends' car with no risk to their insurance in the event of an accident (subject to terms and conditions).

Get a learner driver car insurance quote »

Additional driver cover

Alternatively, to get yourself covered, you could also ask the person whose car you'll be driving to insure you as an additional driver of their car on their car insurance policy.

Learning in your own car

If you can afford to buy a car of your own straight away this is the most practical way forward. As soon as you have a car insurance policy in your own name you can start to earn your no-claim discount. This is important because it could save you a considerable amount of money in the future.

Think about the car you buy

If you're planning to buy a car while you're a learner driver, the age, model and engine size will all affect your insurance premium. Generally, the smaller and less powerful the car, the cheaper the policy is likely to be. If you want to pay a lower premium for your cover look for a car that's in a low car insurance group.

Levels of car insurance cover

Third-party only provides basic cover. It covers you for claims made by other people against you following an accident. It covers your liability to others for death, bodily injury, or damage to property.

Third-party fire and theft provides the same level of cover as third-party only, and also protects your vehicle against damage by fire or theft.

If you're a learner driver, third-party fire and theft is worth considering. Generally it's not much more expensive than third-party only, but provides important cover against fire and theft.

Comprehensive is the highest level of cover available. It provides all of the above and also includes accidental damage cover for your own car, plus other benefits such as cover for personal possessions and medical expenses.

When you're shopping for car insurance be sure to look at the excesses that apply to each policy. If you get a quote for a policy with a low premium but high compulsory excesses ask yourself whether you could afford to pay the excess if you needed to make a claim. On the other hand, if you can afford to, it may be worth thinking about paying a higher voluntary excess to bring down the premium.

Paying for your car insurance

If you're over 18 and in full-time work, many insurers and brokers, including the AA, allow you to pay for your premium in monthly instalments. This could be useful if you want to spread the cost of your car insurance cover.

Learn more about AA Car Insurance and get a car insurance quote online if you're looking for motor insurance to cover yourself in your own car.

Make sure you're a safe driver

If you learn to drive with AA Driving School you can be sure you're learning with a fully qualified driving instructor. Visit AA Driving School for information for learner drivers or to book driving lessons online.

While you're learning to drive it's worth thinking about what you can to do to become a safe driver. Insurance companies love safe drivers, and some actively encourage safer driving by offering discounts to newly qualified drivers who've taken the Driving Standards Agency's (DSA) Pass Plus course.

The best way to ensure that you're a safe driver is to keep your driving skills and knowledge up to date. That's why the AA Driving School offers courses for drivers who have passed their test. Find out more about our courses for Motorway Driving, Eco Driving and Drive Confident.


* According to the Association of British Insurers the average claim for a male driver aged 17 to 19 costs £4,473, while the average claim for a male aged 30 to 50 costs £1,450.

AA Car Insurance is arranged by Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited. Registered office: Fanum House, Basing View, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 4EA. Registered number: 2414212 England.

Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited and Collingwood Insurance Services (UK) Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA). You can check on the FSA's register by visiting the FSA's website www.fsa.gov.uk (link opens a new window) or by contacting the FSA on 0845 606 1234.