Built in the 16th century, the inn had an important role as a coaching house, but it also sheltered highwaymen – a tiny ladder leading to the roof space was discovered during alterations. The inn acquired its name in 1825 after two horses, Colonel and Cadland, running in the Derby at Epsom, passed the post together. They appear on the inn sign, and the bars are named after them. Food includes home-smoked salmon; devilled kidneys; twice baked cheddar soufflé; Brixham bouillabaisse; grilled spatchcock chicken; and crisp roast pork belly with champ mash. Chunky sandwiches are available at lunchtime.