Dating from 1750, The Earl of Warwick’s former hunting lodge offers far-reaching views across the Cam Valley to the Mendip Hills and the Chew Valley towards Bristol. When the estate was sold in 1872, the building became a tavern serving the growing number of coal miners working in the area, but all the mines closed long ago and the place has been transformed into a popular and attractive inn. Paul Thomas has been running the place for more than 30 years, during which time he has established a great reputation for good home-made food, real ales – typically Butcombe and Otter and weekly changing local guest ale – and a well-stocked wine cellar. On the specials blackboard there’s a selection of daily delivered, Brixham-landed fish – sea bass fillet, pea and ham risotto; or beer-battered cod being just two options perhaps. Finish with a popular dessert such as sticky toffee pudding; Bakewell tart; or chocolate and honeycomb cheesecake. In summer you can sit out in the landscaped grounds, and if a longer visit is on the cards the inn has very stylish en suite bedrooms.