This pub was built in 1844 by a drover, Mr Knowles, to offer cheer and sustenance to other drovers on the old London road. For over 20 years it has been run by Anne and Barry Coe, who welcome all-comers to enjoy the large log fire, secluded garden, a choice of real ales and home-cooked food. The same menu is served in the bar and restaurant. Dishes include roast beef and Yorkshire pudding; 'Hodgepodge Pie' (pork, veal and lamb); chicken breast with bacon and Stilton sauce; and grilled whole plaice with white wine and parsley sauce. Gluten-free and vegetarian choices are also available.