Three miles from Cambridge, this heavily beamed pub is a popular dining destination away from the bustle of the city. Built as three cottages in 1540, it was named after the Loyal and Ancient Order of Shepherds that once met here. The pub is free of music, darts and pool, and is a cosy place to sup a pint beside one of the inglenook fires. The bar lunch menu offers an extensive range of filled baguettes as well as jackets and snacks. In the restaurant, perhaps choose marinated crayfish tails; braised lamb shank with minted red wine and rosemary gravy, then apple strudel for dessert. Specials could include fishcakes, lasagne or cannelloni.