Popular inn - rich in history and in a prime town centre location
Standing in the centre of this historic medieval town, this 16th-century inn has had a number of different uses including a stint as a military HQ in 1646, when it was taken over by Generals Mytton and Myddleton. A wealth of historic features are still evident throughout, including the ornate carved staircases. Rooms are individually decorated and complemented by good quality bathrooms, many with feature baths or showers. There is a friendly bar area frequented by guests and locals, serving a range of local ales and ciders, alongside home-cooked dishes.