Which levels of cover work for you?
Breaking down can be expensive, particularly if you’re stranded and don’t have breakdown cover.
But, for your own piece of mind, it’s really important to spend time figuring out what you really need to fit your own circumstances, before you compare breakdown products.
The cheapest deal might not have all of the features and services you need, and it may be that only an experienced breakdown company can help you.
We suggest drawing up a shortlist of those that can offer you everything you need and, only then, start shopping around.
To help you with your breakdown cover comparison, look at:
Reputation and customer feedback
Customer reviews are an excellent way of discovering the truth about a service. We publish our Member feedback, warts and all, so you can get an unbiased view of what our customers think of us.
It’s also worth taking a look at awards and independent industry recommendations. For example, we’re very proud that Which? has awarded us with recommended provider status for the 10th year running.
First of all, think about how you use your car. Do you use it:
- mainly for long journeys?
- mainly for short trips?
- to drive overseas as well as in the UK?
Is it your only vehicle? Are you the only driver? Look into different options depending on whether you need single, joint or family cover, or if you’d prefer to cover the car and anyone that’s in it.
Then consider your own situation.
- Would you know what to do if your car didn’t start at home?
- Could you manage if your car was out of action?
- Do you have money put aside for unexpected garage repair bills?
This should help you work out what sort of cover you’re looking for, allowing you to compare different companies’ offerings.
Our Basic Breakdown Cover gives you 24/7 roadside assistance for breakdowns over 1/4 mile from home.
But, if you choose our more comprehensive Breakdown Membership, you can add the following features to your cover:
- At Home – we’ll come to you at home, or within 1/4 mile of your home, if your vehicle gives up before it’s even got going.
- National Recovery – we’ll take you, your vehicle and up to 7 passengers to wherever you want to go, if we can’t fix your vehicle at the roadside, or arrange a prompt local repair.
- Onward Travel – we’ll help you finish your journey if you break down and we can’t get you going again by the roadside, or get you quickly to a garage. You can choose car hire, an overnight stay in a hotel or money towards public transport.
- Parts and Garage Cover – for times when you need more than a fix at the roadside. We’ll help reduce your garage repair bill after a breakdown.
When comparing companies, find out what additional services they offer.
And you can also relax when driving abroad, with our European Breakdown Cover – roadside assistance in 44 countries delivered by our partner network of 40,000 trusted garages.
- The bigger the fleet, the better. After all, you want someone that can get to you quickly, wherever you are.
- We have the largest patrol force in the UK with over 2,700 brilliant mobile mechanics, compared to around 1,500 for the UK’s second largest provider1.
- Unlike some breakdown providers, we own and manage our fleet of dedicated vehicles and they’re all staffed by our own fully trained experts.
- Our fleet includes breakdown vans, recovery trucks and other specialist vehicles to help out in a wide range of breakdown situations – whether you’re in a car, van or minibus, or on a motorbike.
- When comparing companies, ask about their average response times and success rates. As a guide, we’ll get to you within 45 minutes, on average, fix 8 out of 10 vehicles by the roadside, and get more people back on the road than anyone else.2
Rewards and incentives
There are plenty of rewards and incentives on offer from different companies, so it’s worth comparing these. Are they purely linked to your initial sign-up or do they continue to benefit you once you’ve joined?
We reward our Members with ongoing savings – like great deals on car hire and 20% off at Moto service areas – and offer lots of exclusive benefits. Plus, to thank our Members for their loyalty, the longer they stay with us, the more benefits they get.
For roadside reassurance from the name you can trust, buy breakdown cover from the AA today.
Did you know?
Without breakdown cover, an average call out could cost £80.3
A breakdown on a motorway could cost a non-covered driver £150 or more.4
1 Source: MINTEL – UK Vehicle Recovery Report, September 2014.
2 In 2014 we fixed 2.8 million vehicles without having to tow them away – that's over 900k more than our closest competitor (Mintel – UK Vehicle recovery report, September 2015).
3 AA Survey of Garages Nationwide, March 2015.
4 Based on the cost of service including a Highways agency-arranged tow off the motorway and garage callout (AA Survey of Garages Nationwide, March 2015).