UK breakdown coverGet a quote
– buy online
Arrange cover over the phone
Call us on 0800 085 2721
We can help – call us now
0800 88 77 66
The earliest AA car badges were issued in April 1906, and were of a uniform pattern
Precise details of the earliest AA car badges have not survived, other than they were issued in April 1906, and were of a uniform pattern.
It is likely that the first two or three hundred were made only in brass.
Quite soon 'white metal' (nickel–plated) versions became available, though how many is not known.
The obverse carried a serial number on the shank. As this increased to five digits and more, it was impressed around the top of the circle.
There was also a facsimile of Stenson Cooke's signature – large to start with; smaller, with the word 'secretary' added later.
On the first badges the reverse was plain. Soon the telephone number and telegraphic address appeared.
Combined AA and MU badge
In November 1907 a smaller version was made for motorcycles.
After amalgamation with the Motor Union a combined badge was designed in 1911 incorporating the 'M' and wings from the body's emblem with the intertwined A's.
It was the standard pattern for the next half century, varied only in size type of metal and method of fixing. From about 1925 onwards brass badges gave way almost entirely to nickel or chromium finish.
Domed car badge
In 1945 the shape was made more compact with a convex bulge.
During the 1930s the wings were made straighter and pinions were given greater definition.
During world war 1, motor cycle badges were given coloured heart–shaped tokens indicating membership expiry dates.
Up to 1967 when the square badge was introduced there were only 2 major variants; the short lived pentagonal light car badge from 1914–1920 only, and the Commercial Vehicle Section badges, brass with red background from 1911 to about 1930.
After this it was made in chrome with an attractive basket–weave design.
From 1907–1967 members of the AA Committee displayed the original circular badge surmounted by a pennant.
This was replaced with a large chrome and yellow rectangular plaque in 1967.
In 1967 the AA introduced the square yellow AA logo still in use today.
(The number was not the membership number)
A Combined AA and MU motor cycle badge with subscription renewal 'token' (1915/16 only)
The first motorcycle badge issued in November 1907
Motor Union car badge first issued (without wings) in 1907
Industrial or Commercial Vehicle Section badge 1911 to c.1930
New design for Industrial or Commercial Vehicle badge c.1930 to 1967
Small car radiator badge current from 1930 to 1939
Light car badge for two or three seater cars up to 11.9 hp. 1914 to 1920 only
Chromium motor cycle badge first issued in 1929. Replaced c.1952