Compare home insurance

Choosing the right insurance for your house

Choosing the right home insurance

With so many different UK home insurance companies to choose from, it can be time-consuming finding the right policy for your home.

Here we offer some tips on comparing home insurance policies and information on what we offer as an insurance broker.

Before you start shopping around it's worth considering the type of cover you'll need for your home.

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance provides cover for the physical fabric of your home – and its fixtures and fittings – against events like fire, storm and flood. If you're buying a house your mortgage provider will insist that you have buildings cover.

It's important to make sure a policy provides the cover you need. If you're concerned about accidental damage to your building look for a policy which offers cover for this. Cover against accidental damage can be added to AA Buildings Insurance.

If you want to be prepared for unforseen household emergencies, like a burst pipe, look for a policy that provides a 24-hour helpline and cover for emergency repairs. AA Home Emergency Cover provides a 24-hour helpline in the event of a household emergency, and we'll pay up to £500 (including VAT) for call out, labour, parts and materials to cover an emergency repair following an insured event.

combined buildings and contents policy may be cheaper than buying separate insurance policies for buildings and contents, although it's worth comparing combined and separate policies when shopping around.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance generally covers possessions you'd take with you when moving house. A policy is likely to cover your furniture and furnishings, household goods, kitchen equipment, home entertainment equipment, clothing, and certain valuables, up to a stated limit.

Our home contents calculator can help you work out the level of cover needed to replace your possessions.

As with buildings insurance, consider what you need cover for. Do you want to cover your possessions against accidental damage? And would you like cover for possessions or valuables when you take them out of the house? Look for a policy that meets all your requirements.

How to find a good home insurance deal

When comparing insurance quotes from different providers, make a list of what is and isn't covered by each policy. You can then consider the policy benefits against each price and make a like for like comparison. It's also a good idea to look at the excesses for any policy you're considering.

If you're a homeowner looking for buildings insurance it's important to work out how much it would cost to rebuild your home from scratch. You can then check whether the policy covers the cost of rebuilding your home. Alternatively, you could choose a policy which is rated on the number of bedrooms in your property. We offer this type of policy, and the advantage for our customers is that you won't need to tell us the re-build value of your house.

What about insurance comparison websites?

Insurance comparison websites can save you time because they allow you to view several quotes at once. To get a fair comparison among the quotes it's important to consider the policy benefits and any excesses that apply to each policy, as well as looking at the premiums.

What we do as an insurance broker

The AA is a leading home insurance broker. This means we compare home insurance quotes from a specially selected panel of over 12 leading insurance providers in the UK to find you the lowest quotes we can. Our Deal Checker system does the searching for you, tailored to your needs. So whether you're looking for separate buildings and contents cover or a combined buildings and contents policy, we can help you to find a great deal each time we search for your home insurance.

You can also view our policy benefits before you buy, which means that when we search for your quote you'll already know about the benefits you could receive.

What if I need specialist cover?

As well as offering standard home insurance we can also offer insurance for the contents of your home if you're a student, or if you have a holiday home we also offer holiday home insurance.