Car insurance claims

Car insurance claims

Call 0800 269 622 to claim

Making a claim

We're here to help 24–hours a day, 365 days a year

AA Claims advisors

Our claims advisors; here to help.

Our claims advisors are on–hand to help you 24–hours a day, 365 days a year. To make a claim call 0800 269 622.

Please have your details ready when calling, so we can process your claim as quickly as possible.

Ensure you're prepared for the worst by keeping a pen and paper, a first aid kit and a torch in the car.

What to do immediately after a crash:

  • Attend to anybody hurt and call an ambulance if neccessary
  • Call the police and obtain an incident number
  • Assess the damage to your car. If involved in a collision with another driver, stay calm and do not admit fault
  • Exchange details with the other driver (name, address, phone number, car registration number, insurance company and policy number) if applicable
  • Record names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses
  • Write down how the accident happened, including sketches if it helps. If you have a camera – and if it is safe to do so – take photos of the scene
  • Report the accident to our 24–hour car insurance claimline on 0800 269 622

Frequently asked questions

All you need to know about Car Insurance Claims

The accident

What should I do in the event of an accident?

In the unfortunate event of an accident call our 24-hour claimline as soon as possible on 0800 269 622. A claims advisor will then record the details of your claim and advise you on what to do next.

What are my obligations in the event of an accident?

Firstly, attend to anyone that has been hurt and call an ambulance if necessary. Then call the police and obtain an incident number. If you have been involved in a collision with another driver, stay calm and exchange the following:

  • Name and address
  • Phone number
  • Car registration number
  • Insurance company details and policy number

Back to top

Following the accident

Who will deal with my claim?

When you call our claimline, our advisors will explain all the available options. Depending on the accident circumstances, your claim will be dealt with by ClaimFast (our preferred accident management company) or your insurer. Your insurer's details are included in your Certificate of Motor Insurance. For more information about ClaimFast, visit

How do I make a glass claim?

If you have fully comprehensive AA car insurance this usually extends to glass repairs. If you need to make a glass claim call Auto Windshields on 0800 316 7436 and they will arrange for a specialist technician to carry out the repairs.

Who repairs my car?

Both ClaimFast and your insurer have a network of authorised garages throughout the UK. If your vehicle is repairable, then the repairs will be completed by approved mechanics who will liaise with you directly in order to arrange an estimate.

All repairs carried out by our mechanics are guaranteed for three years and use manufacturer-approved parts.

You may only use your own garage after you have submitted an estimate to your insurer and they have authorised the repairs. Should you wish to use your own garage, the repairs are not guaranteed and a courtesy car will not be provided.

What if I have been injured in the accident?

If you or your passengers have suffered any form of injury as a result of the accident, which you do not believe to be your fault, we may be able to provide you with a solicitor. They will make a claim for compensation on your behalf which will include any other losses that you may have incurred, for example your policy excess or loss of earnings.

Back to top

Finding fault

What if the accident was not my fault?

If you have been involved in an accident which is 100% not your fault, ClaimFast may be able to authorise repairs to your vehicle without the need for an excess fee and without affecting your no claims discount.

ClaimFast may also be able to provide a replacement car similar to your own for the duration of repairs, or for up to seven days after a settlement from your insurer, if your vehicle is a total loss.

ClaimFast will recover all the costs incurred directly from the third party insurer.

If we are unable to use this service, your insurer will follow their usual claims process and attempt to claim their costs from the third party insurer. However, you will have to pay your policy excess and your no claims discount will be affected until the insurer successfully recovers these losses.

Call 0800 269 622 to find out more.

What if the accident was my fault?

If you have comprehensive cover, your insurer will arrange repairs to your vehicle or negotiate a settlement if the vehicle is a total loss.

What should I do if the other party contacts me?

If you receive any correspondence from the third party, their insurer or solicitor, forward it unanswered to your own insurer and they will respond on your behalf. If you are contacted by phone please ask the caller to call us on 0800 269 622. Please do not agree to any services offered without talking to us first, as they may not be in your best interest.

What if the other driver disputes the accident circumstances?

Your insurer will always do their very best to obtain an admission of liability from the other driver or their insurer. They will do this by providing evidence and the information you have supplied them with. If the evidence provided does not fully support either driver's version of events, then both insurers may need to take some responsibility.

Back to top

Policy excess explained

What is excess?

An excess fee is the first 'portion' of a claim which you pay, regardless of blame, when your vehicle is repaired or written off. They are individual to each policy and, in the event of a claim, you only ever have to pay your own excess fee.

Where can I find information about my excess fee?

Your excess fee should be on the back of your insurance certificate in the endorsements section.

Who do I pay my excess fee to?

If your vehicle is repairable, you will need to pay your excess fee direct to the repairer. In the event your vehicle is a total loss, stolen or not recovered, your insurer will deduct any applicable excess fees from the settlement issued to you. If you were involved in an accident that was not your fault and you purchased Motor Legal Assistance from us, we may be able to recover the excess fee from the third-parties' insurer.

Back to top