Mortimer Road, Cubley, PENISTONE, S36 9DF
On the edge of the Peak District National Park, Cubley Hall was built as a country house in the 18th century and became a gentleman's residence in Queen Victoria's reign. It later became a children's home before being transformed into its current role in 1982. Following that the massive, oak-beamed bar was converted into the restaurant and furnished with old pine tables, chairs and church pews, and the building was extended to incorporate the hotel, which was designed to harmonise with the original mosaic floors, ornate plaster ceilings, oak panelling and stained glass. Food-wise, take your pick from light bites, chalkboard specials and an extensive main menu listing pub classics, a selection of 'proper big' burgers and home-made pizzas. Otherwise choices include meat and potato pie; chicken and mushroom carbonara; chilli con carne; and oven-baked veggie tartlet. The hall is reputedly haunted by friendly Florence Lockley, who married there in 1904 and is affectionately known as Flo.
Tel: 01226 766086
Please quote 'The AA'.
Send an email
Tetley's Bitter, Black Sheep Best Bitter
All day all week
Children's play area.
Coach parties catered.