Useful links

Links to government agencies, trade bodies and services providers

links to government agencies, trade bodies and services providers

links to government agencies, trade bodies and services providers

We aim to provide advice on the most common topics and answers to the most common motoring questions on our own website.

If you can't find what you're looking for in the motoring advice section of the AA website, then one or more of the following may well hold the answer.

Below you will find links to government agencies, trade bodies and services providers associated with cars and driving, from the weather and disaster planning to overseas travel, legal advice and disputes with garages.


Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) »

Information on all vehicle and driving documentation, including driver licences and new vehicle registration.
Telephone 0300 790 6802 (vehicle enquiries)
Other ways to contact DVLA »
Driver and Vehicle Licencing Northern Ireland »

Driving Standards Agency »

Government agency responsible for driver and rider theory and practical testing

Office of Fair Trading (OFT) »

Promoting and protecting consumer interests throughout the UK while ensuring that businesses are fair and competitive.

Department for Transport »

Government department with responsibility for road transport and policy.

Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) »

The designated UK Vehicle Type Approval authority.

Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) »

Iinformation and complaints about the MOT test plus safety defect reports and vehicle recalls.

The Highways Agency »

Government agency responsible for operating and maintaining the strategic road network – motorways and strategic A roads. »

Government information and services online. Information for motorists covers licensing, buying and selling vehicles, road safety, learners, new drivers, and more.( replaced Directgov from October 2012)

Weather & emergencies

The Met Office »

For up-to-date UK national and regional weather forecasts and severe weather warnings.

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents » 

Charity involved in the promotion safety at home, leisure, work and on the roads

British Red Cross »

Advice and information about preparing for emergencies - from winter and floods to heatwaves and drought.

Legal advice

Trading Standards »
Legal information and consumer protection - find your local trading standards office

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) »

Independent advice to help resolve legal, money and other problems. Find your local bureau or browse the advice guide for self-help information.

Dealing with garages

Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) »

Consumer advice and general motor industry information.
Telephone 020 7235 7000

Motor Codes »

Providing motorists with three industry codes of practice - new car sales, warranties and service/repair - together with advice, conciliation and arbitration services. Search the website for garages that have signed up to the Codes of Practice.

Retail Motor Industry Federation »

Automotive trade body representing franchised car and commercial vehicle dealers, independent garages, bodyshops,  motorcycle dealers, petrol retailers, auction houses and cherished number plate dealers.
National Conciliation Service helpline 01788 538317

The Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) »

The Sector Skills Council for the automotive retail industry and the professional association for individuals working in the motor industry.  The IMI is the governing body for the Automotive Technician Accreditation (ATA) and Automotive Management Accrediation (AMA) schemes.

Overseas travel

Providing information on Low Emission Zones, City Charging Schemes and Access Regulations in Europe. Regulations where vehicle may be not be allowed access to a city or parts of a city, or may receive penalty notices if they do.

Foreign & Commonwealth Office »

For the latest travel safety advice.
Telephone 020 7008 1500


Forum of mobility centres »

Network of 17 independent organisations offering professional advice and assessment to individuals who have a medical condition or are recovering from an accident or injury which may affect their ability to drive, access or egress a motor vehicle.

Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs »

A grouping of almost 500 Clubs and Museums upholding the freedom to use old vehicles on the roads without any undue restriction.

Caravan Registration & Identification Scheme (CRiS) »

Owned by the National Caravan Council, CRiS operates in a similar way to the DVLA for cars, providing a registration document and keeper record.

Motor Insurance Repair Research Centre (Thatcham) »

Approved security systems and installers, insurance group rating, whiplash protection, and advanced driver assist systems. »

Model by model, what's good, what's bad and what to watch out for.

(16 April 2015)