TRAQUAIR, Innerleithen, EH44 6PW
Scotland's oldest inhabited house, dating back to the 12th century, 27 Scottish monarchs have stayed at Traquair House. William the Lion held court here, and the house has associations with Mary, Queen of Scots and the Jacobite risings. The Bear Gates were closed in 1745, not to be reopened until the Stuarts should once again ascend the throne. There is a maze and woodland walks by the River Tweed, craft workshops and a children's adventure playground. Also an 18th-century working brewery with museum shop and tastings. Award-winning 1745 Cottage Restaurant open for lunches and teas.
Tel: 01896 830323
Send an email
£8.80 (ch £4.50, seniors £7.80). Family £24.50 Group rates available. Grounds only £4.50 (concessions £3.50)
Open Apr-Sep, 11-5
1-29 Oct, 11-4
Nov, wknds 11-3
Average visit 3hrs
Dogs not allowed in house, only grounds
Assist dogs allowed all areas.
Only ground floor of house accessible
Video showing upper floors house, some craft workshops
At Innerleithen take B709, house in 1m