Grade II listed 18th-century inn with contemporary touches
At a glance
Open all year
Built as a hostel for the stonemasons of the adjoining village church, this ancient country inn dates from 1362. It was rebuilt in 1740 and many features from that period still remain, including beautiful Georgian windows; happily some of the original glass is intact despite overlooking the cricket pitch. These days it has an uncluttered, contemporary feel with additional seating in the garden. The menu might include Tuscan bean soup; pan-fried tiger prawns with spaghetti, asparagus and broad bean; or slow-cooked lamb shoulder with apricots, cinnamon and sultanas. Sandwiches and baguettes too – perhaps prawn in Marie Rose sauce; or English cheddar with sun-blushed tomato relish.