Built as a hostel for the stonemasons of the adjoining village church, this ancient country inn dates from 1362. It was rebuilt in 1740 and many features from that period still remain, including beautiful Georgian windows; happily some of the original glass is intact despite overlooking the cricket pitch. These days it has an uncluttered, contemporary feel with additional seating in the garden. The menu might include smoked fish platter with salad and crusty bread; pan-fried tiger prawns cooked in coriander and walnut oil; or slow-cooked lamb shoulder with redcurrant sauce. Sandwiches and baguettes too – perhaps prawn with rocket mayonnaise; or English cheddar with home-made pear and ginger chutney.