Car insurance Green Card

Our guide for driving in Europe

Many AA Car Insurance customers take their own vehicles to the continent, especially for holidays. And throughout the Brexit negotiations they'll have kept an eye on what they need to do when driving in Europe.

The UK stopped being a member of the EU on 31 January 2020. However, until the end of 2020 the previous rules on travel for the UK and the EU continue to apply.

From 1 January 2021 you may need a Green Card to drive your car in Europe.

But what is a Green Card and how do AA customers get hold of one? Here's our handy guide to help you.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an official, multi-language translation of your car insurance policy. It proves you have the minimum compulsory insurance cover to drive in the country you’re visiting.

The Green Card system covers 47 countries, including the 27 in the European Union, Switzerland, Russia, and others bordering the Mediterranean.

Why do I need a Green Card?

If you're stopped at a border or by the police while driving your car in one of the countries covered by the Green Card system, you can show them your Green Card to confirm that you have valid car insurance.

During our membership of the EU, drivers with valid UK car insurance didn't need a Green Card to travel in European Economic Area countries, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

  • Until 31 December 2020 your AA Car Insurance policy covers you in Europe and there's no need for a Green Card.

  • If you drive abroad from 1 January 2021 a Green Card may be required in addition to your Certificate of Motor Insurance. Our customer advisors will be happy to help you get your Green Card.

We don't want you to be caught out, so be prepared and make sure you have all the necessary documents well before you travel.

How do I get one and how much does it cost?

If you're an AA Car Insurance customer, please call us 14 days before travelling to get your Green Card.

Our call centre times are below.

If you're visiting any of the following countries for up to 90 days, then your Green Card is free:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

Your Green Card is also free if you travel to the Republic of Ireland, and is valid for the whole policy year.

If you're travelling to a European country not listed above, or certain Middle Eastern nations, or your stay is longer than 90 days, then you'll need to pay a fee. We'll tell you about the charge when you apply.

Star rated travel Insurance for the unexpected

Cancellation cover up to £5,000 per person
Medical expenses up to £15 million
Members get enhanced benefits with our Silver or Gold Cover*

Get a quote
Your FAQs about driving abroad from 1 January 2021

Which countries are in the EU or the EEA?

You may need a Green Card for all the European Union countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

A Green Card may also be necessary for the European Economic Area, which includes all the EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

What about going to and from Ireland?

If you drive between Northern Ireland (UK) and the Republic of Ireland then you may need a Green Card.

I live abroad but also drive in the UK

Drivers of vehicles registered in an EEA country, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland visiting the UK may have to carry a Green Card.

So if you live in France or Spain, for example, apply to your insurer in that country for the document.

What do I need if I have AA European Breakdown Cover?

You'll still need valid car insurance, and maybe a Green Card, if you take your car to the EEA countries, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

Who checks a Green Card when travelling abroad?

Border forces or local police may ask for proof of your valid car insurance, so the Green Card has to be a physical document. There's no international register of Green Cards for them to look up.

Does the document really need to be green?

No, Green Card is the name of the document. It can be printed on white paper.

What if I hire a car abroad?

You shouldn't need a Green Card when you hire a car. The insurance that comes from the rental company will cover you.

If you rent a car in the UK for use in the EU, then you may need a Green Card. Again, the rental company should sort this for you.

Good to know

* To qualify for these additional Member benefits you must be an AA Member at the time of purchasing the policy. The benefits are not available for the Bronze level of travel insurance.

Call us to get your Green Card

0370 060 0137

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm.