When travelling abroad, you'll want a trouble-free trip. And many of the things that go wrong can be prevented or made less stressful by taking a few simple precautions before you travel.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Travel Aware website offers straightforward travel advice, top tips, and up-to-date country information to help you plan your holiday.
Wherever you're planning to go – Europe or further afield – the FCO travel advice tool below will help you find the information you need to know, from entry requirements or the latest travel advice, to information on health vaccinations, local laws and customs.
FCO tips include:
- Make sure you have valid travel insurance, even if you're only planning a short trip.
- Check what vaccinations you need by visiting www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk, your travel health clinic or GP at least six weeks before you travel.
- Read up on your destination, including local laws and customs.
- Make photocopies of your passport, visas and insurance details and leave a copy with a relative or friend at home.
- Reading up on what the local British Consulate can do to help you if you run into problems abroad – and what they can't do.
You can also find handy checklists to use before you set off and while you're away.
If you need to contact the FCO, visit the FCO website.
Travelling to Europe?
AA Members enjoy a range of travel savings – from ferry discounts to car hire. Plan your trip with our free online European Route planner, and make sure you've got European breakdown cover – enjoy peace of mind with our 24-hour English-speaking assistance. AA Car Insurance customers enjoy 90 days of free European cover, and we also offer travel Insurance too.
Make sure you're up to speed with the latest driving requirements for each country and local laws, and don’t forget to check out our European driving advice. You'll find everything you need for driving in Europe in the AA Shop. Standard delivery is free on all mainland UK orders. And Members enjoy a 10% discount.