Originating from 1808, The Step House was once part of the Borris House Estate, ancestral home of the High Kings of Leinster. It has been a licensed premises in the Coady family for five generations, and became a hotel in the last decade following a dedicated refurbishment and expansion. Bedrooms are spacious, with many having wonderful views towards Mount Leinster. Dinner in the original kitchen, now the award-winning Cellar Restaurant, is a highlight of a visit, but lighter fare is also served daily in the 1808 bar and the gardens. The hotel has a strong reputation for weddings and family gatherings, and al fresco dining in the well-tended grounds and gardens.