- You have to apply in person (no third-party applications).
- Complete the application form available from the Post Office counter.
- The statutory charge for a permit is £5.50.
- You can only pay by cash or debit card.
You'll need to take:
1. Driving licence
The original (not a copy or a licence check code) of your:
- Valid UK driving licence, or
- Your UK pass certificate (certificate of competence to drive, valid for two years from the date of your test), together with your provisional driving licence (photocard).
2. Passport photo
A passport-sized (45-50mm high x 35- 40mm wide) photo signed by you on the back and showing full face against a light background. The photo must be:
- Printed on photo quality paper.
- On a plain background.
- A close up of head and shoulders.
- No other people or objects visible in the photo.
- Full face with eyes open.
- Sharp focus and clear.
- No reflection from spectacles.
3. Proof of identity
You will need to show an acceptable signed proof of identity, eg. passport.
Post Office branches that can issue an IDP
For a list of Post Offices that can issue an IDP over the counter, visit the Post Office website.